Guppy Swim bladder? What on earth is going on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess321

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I own a tank with a lot of guppies, and by far the most iconic is a yellow female who swims vertically (passionately nicknamed 'Leida' by my younger sister.) When we first got her she was a normal adolescent, but a few months later her tail began to droop like that of old guppies, but she was still rather young. Eventually it got so bad she was practically vertical, and was expected to die as she got picked on by the males. She survived and is now around 2 years old, still going strong. Strangely, some other females who got it (no males got it so it was not an injury or illness) died soon after they started to droop. Some more facts about how she looks: her gills are slighty inflamed and have gone red; her head and tail is bent forward slightly due to constant attempts to stay upright; her belly is completely flat (even males should have a little bulge) and she pants; she moves by thrashing her tail vigorously. So, what percentage of her descendants will get it? Is it the swimmbladder causing it? Was it a one off that she survives with it or is there a certain chance of survival? :thanks::thanks::thanks: I'll update you if it gets worse or she dies.

Hi there. To get some help we will need some more info... Please tell us

Tank size, number of guppys, water levels, and pictures if possible.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Back
Top Bottom