Guppy ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grannysneo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am at the end of cycling a 20 gallon tank . I've got 2 dozen guppy feeders in it now. I'm planning on using them as feeders for my Oscar . Hubby says I should keep the females to breed the fancy males with. He claims it will make for healthier babies. Will it or will they mostly be blah looking like the females?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you want to outcross guppies to strengthen your line you'd be best off buying from a breeder locally that has the same type, and introduce new blood that way. Feeders are wild types and there really is no telling what would come out of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok thanks So far all I got is feeders. I can't go to the lfs cause of snow

I'm not sure what the goal here is. If you want a healthy colony of feeder guppies go and get random females from different sources. Generally the less fancy they are, the hardier they are. Every 6 months or so remove a few females and replace them with different females to keep the blood lines fresh.

I want a healthy tank of fancy colorful guppies. Hubby said I should leave a few of the feeders in there to strengthen the line instead of plAcinging the feeders in my Oscar tank

I want a healthy tank of fancy colorful guppies. Hubby said I should leave a few of the feeders in there to strengthen the line instead of plAcinging the feeders in my Oscar tank

If you want fancy looking guppies then you need to start with fancy guppies. Preferrably of a single strain. If you use feeder guppies they will never really look "fancy" even if they are breeding with fancy guppies.

For reference these are typical feeders:

wgup3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom