Guppys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C.w.deegan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I moved some fish around between my 3 tanks and ended up with a empty tank 20 gallon I restocked it with 6 fancy guppys 2 male 4 female I know they will breed and increase their numbers my question is is there anything specific I need to know for keeping guppys I have a sand substrate drift wood a few large rocks and artificial plants in the tank with a hob filter and a heater and a air stone is there anything els I need or should watch out for iv never had guppys in any of my tanks before

Hi
I am a bit of a novice fish keeper still but I too bought guppies and frankly they do nothing but breed!! I did initially buy a little netted box that you can attach to the tank and move the female into when she's due to pop but frankly I never have any real idea when that is so usually miss it!!
What I do, do, is watch the girls closely and the morning they look skinnier than the day before I start hunting out the babies. I take all the ornaments out, net them up and move them to a smaller tank with no other fish in. My first time I managed to find 6 that all grew really well and in the next drop I found 8 and that was about 3 weeks later.
I feed the babies 3 times a day and then gave them away to new homes when they were 5 weeks old as big enough at this point not to get eaten! Basically they can produce loads of fry at a time but most will get eaten immediately. Mine always have them at night and with black gravel and quite a few hiding places I think the number of babies I have rescued has actually been pretty high given they are not separated to birth. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom