half aquatic half terrestrial 55 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kagenajco

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i am doing a half wet half dry aquarium set up using a piece of glass as a divider rough volume of aquatic side would be 22 gallons wondering i i should reinforce the glass divider in some way divider i 12"x 19.24" x 2.5 mm thick

Hiya! I'm a newb too, so don't take my input too seriously. I'm also wanting to do a paludarium of sorts, but I won't be using a divider.

From what I've seen, this seems to depend on a lot of factors. Such as; is the divider through the narrow point or the wide point? Will the pressure from both sides be roughly equal, or are you using a false bottom for the terrestrial side? Or heavier substrate?

Most people, from what I've seen, simply use silicon and don't have problems with reinforcement. I'd, personally, fill the water side completely and let it sit for a while, see if you spring any leaks or if it pops out of place.

For creative solutions; I saw one guy slant the divider toward the land portion. He did this because the pressure from his water was much lower than the force of the thick and heavy substrate for the land. He just made the divider itself into a steep beach of sorts.

i am doing a half wet half dry aquarium set up using a piece of glass as a divider rough volume of aquatic side would be 22 gallons wondering i i should reinforce the glass divider in some way divider i 12"x 19.24" x 2.5 mm thick

are you dead set on using a glass divider? personally i dont think it will look all that great. it will look much more natural if you made the dry area blend into the water area. here is a video of how to go about using expanding foam, silicon and coco fiber to add a more realistic look.

yes alot more work but so much more rewarding in the end. i wish i had pictures of the paladarium i did years ago but i cant seem to find them :(

if you are just wanting to do a divider i would recommend using plexiglass and then just silicon it in place. when putting the glass in or if it failed after setup it could fall over smacking the glass of your tank and possibly cracking it. also it pretty heavy. plexiglass wont do either of these things.

Back
Top Bottom