Hard water fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Secios

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi ! I already asked some stocking suggestions for my 30 gallon and the most suggested tetras, cory cats. At first i was really happy but when i did some research i saw they more like acidic water. My tapwater is hard: 20+ kh, 16 gh and a ph 7,6-8. So these acidic fish wont work i guess. I know livebearers like hard water but i dont want them to breed too much. I like bettas and was looking into female sororitys but it isnt certain that it works.

Any suggestions ?

Ian

The suggestions you see on fish profiles are what they prefer, what they need to breed, what they are found in in the wild..... Nowadays, fish (except maybe wildcaught) can adapt very well if you acclimate them slowly.

You don't believe me? ;)

My water: ph 8.6, water is extremely hard (limescale is all over everything).

Fauna- cories, tetras, rasboras, plecos, livebearers, bettas, gouramis, shrimp, snails..... Numerous plant species.

I have never had issues with fish dying from my water except a batch of wildcaught gouramis.
I drip acclimate everything- I think this is extremely important.

You will be fine, Im so surprised you're concerned! ;) fish will easily adapt to your water. Chances are the water in the local fish store is the same as yours.

Livebearers prefer water a little more alkaline than yours but they will be fine too.

I'm so happy !!! I now have much more options : D i knew it hadnt have to be perfect but i tought the difference was to big :))

Back
Top Bottom