Hard water stains!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheOscar

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a 125 off Craig's , well I'm trying to get it cleaned up and there is a slight ring around the tank from hard water.. I have used lemon juice , razor blades , and is currently soaking in vinegar.. It is still slightly visible .. Is this a permanent thing or just a slow process I need to keep repeating? Any other suggestions .. Thanks

I would of thought vinegar will soften it up and allow you to get most of it off. Its definitely not perminant as its no fused or merged into the plastic or glass and just sat on top of.

Well it seems to go away when it's wet .. So I don't know if it will look fine when it's full.. It's very faint stains , I'm just picky and don't want to drag this heavy a** thing in the house , only to drag it back out again..

Well it seems to go away when it's wet .. So I don't know if it will look fine when it's full.. It's very faint stains , I'm just picky and don't want to drag this heavy a** thing in the house , only to drag it back out again..

Yep i know exactly what you mean, been there done that. Keep at it. Also the fact you need someone else to help move a tank that size any distance is annoying too.

That's what I'm gunna do.. Scrub , scrub.. Thanks again

You'll be fine. As long as the top of the water doesn't show you won't see it at all, my parents 150 gallon looked amazing full with hard water, but half full and you can barely see in, it's always best to remove as much as you can though.

I bought a 125 off Craig's , well I'm trying to get it cleaned up and there is a slight ring around the tank from hard water.. I have used lemon juice , razor blades , and is currently soaking in vinegar.. It is still slightly visible .. Is this a permanent thing or just a slow process I need to keep repeating? Any other suggestions .. Thanks
Glass is slightly porous, so stain can get in there and be very difficult to remove. Try this it worked for me, get some new dish cloths and spread them across the top of the tank. Use a new spray bottle(or just pour) some neat white vinegar onto the cloths. Leave them there for at least 24hrs. Keep the cloth wet with vinegar. After 24/48hrs, use glass magnets or a scrubbing sponge to give it a good scrub. It should remove all the stains. If this doesn't work, there is another method I used but I don't what to post it publicly, slightly controversial!!. See how you go and if it doesn't work, PM me and i'll tell you what I did......

Glass is slightly porous, so stain can get in there and be very difficult to remove. Try this it worked for me, get some new dish cloths and spread them across the top of the tank. Use a new spray bottle(or just pour) some neat white vinegar onto the cloths. Leave them there for at least 24hrs. Keep the cloth wet with vinegar. After 24/48hrs, use glass magnets or a scrubbing sponge to give it a good scrub. It should remove all the stains. If this doesn't work, there is another method I used but I don't what to post it publicly, slightly controversial!!. See how you go and if it doesn't work, PM me and i'll tell you what I did......

I think u better let me in on ur secret - my lid drives me bonkers

Gotcha.. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom