Hardwater angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loachy dance

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, im new to most cichlids, though not fish in general. I have a 90 gallon that needs filling:D. I have a ph of 7.5 and generally med- hard water otherwise. Mbuna are currently out of my price range and im looking at other options. Angelfish are listed as soft water. Would they be okay in this water, if i have no plans to breed them ?
Orwill they actually get sick, never kept angels before, but they're pretty and cheap. Plus i would be putting in potting soils substrate with gravel to make it planted.

Most Angels in the hobby today have been captive bred for many generations and are acclimated to harder more neutral water.

Just ask the shop where you buy them what their water is like. It will probably be fine.

They will be fine. I kept them in 8.2

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hard water here as well with angels for years without problems.
Mbunas are some of my favorite though

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks all! That was quick!
Im probably going that route then. I looked at Lowes and hey have everything you might need forraising cichlids and more forhalf the price of lfs. Organic soil and pebbles here i come!
Yeah i like mbuna too, how could you not, but pricy to get enough to fill a 90 g tank, where as angelfish use hespace more from what isee, plus easier to get alternate tankmates hen for africans :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom