Hardy Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robcurry12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was doing some exploring on this site and just love the look of a heavily planted aquarium. My current set up has 3 flourishing anubias and one sword growing well but I want to add some more tall growing, background plants. I'm looking for a fast growing, hardy, difficult to kill (I don't have the greenest of thumbs) plant for my background. Its a 36 gallon bow front with gravel substrate. Not sure if this matters but I have a bubble wand along the back of the tank where I would like to place the plants. There are other places in the tank to put plants as well. What plant(s) would you recommend that meet my requirements?

Vallis is pretty hardy,but most plants would appreciate some kind of proper plant substrate. You could add java fern which grows attached to wood or rocks similar to your anubius. Or buy them in pots and keep them in there pots, this will help,but not ideal.

If you want fast and hardy plants, you'll want to look into hygrophilia sp. Water Wisteria might be an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you add C02 (liquid or pressurized)? I've heard that a bubble bar is not good in a planted tank, except for at night when you want your c02 levels to drop. Don't worry, Anubias can survive anything. I have super limited experience, but I've had luck with four tall plants. Water Wisteria, Narrow Temple Leaf, (both hygrophila varieties), Anacharis and Jungle Val.

Catch 22, jungle val and anacharis often melt from liquid C02. Temple leaf and Wisteria will eventually loose all their bottom leaves and look naked from the middle down if you do not add C02 of some sort.

Without C02 your plants will use up all of the C02 in the water and then algae will happen. So it's difficult at best. Hope it helps.

Do you add C02 (liquid or pressurized)? I've heard that a bubble bar is not good in a planted tank, except for at night when you want your c02 levels to drop. Don't worry, Anubias can survive anything. I have super limited experience, but I've had luck with four tall plants. Water Wisteria, Narrow Temple Leaf, (both hygrophila varieties), Anacharis and Jungle Val.

Catch 22, jungle val and anacharis often melt from liquid C02. Temple leaf and Wisteria will eventually loose all their bottom leaves and look naked from the middle down if you do not add C02 of some sort.

Without C02 your plants will use up all of the C02 in the water and then algae will happen. So it's difficult at best. Hope it helps.

I do not add CO2 at all but the Anubias continue to sprout new leaves. Any advice on how to add CO2? And really? I always thought the bubble bar was good for the plants cause it provided oxygen :O That's a good tid bit of information to keep in the memory bank:)

I do not add CO2 at all but the Anubias continue to sprout new leaves. Any advice on how to add CO2? And really? I always thought the bubble bar was good for the plants cause it provided oxygen :O That's a good tid bit of information to keep in the memory bank:)

I don't think it matters if you have really low lighting. Some people don't add any liquid/pressurized CO2 or ferts into their tank and have success--of course you are limited to plant choices. If your lighting is on the really low side, then I'd stick to slow growers and avoid stem plants.

+1 I would avoid stems, hygrophila grows like a weed. Perhaps it is. It will take up most of the co2 and nutrients. Anubias is pretty indestructible to be honest. I would try vallisneria for the background.

I wouldn't change anything with the bubble bar if your plants are healthy. Surface movement helps to add oxygen and even though you may be driving off co2 you are actually supplying the tank with small amounts of co2 through atmosphere. Plants appreciate a constant and steady supply of co2 and this is why you are probably having success.

Thank you everyone for your advice! Very helpful! Just a quick question.

I've found some jungle Val and I want to add it to my tank. Everywhere I'm reading is that it is incredible hard to kill. Like I said above I don't add any co2 and just have a bubble bar. In theory, should the jungle var survive and grow?

Thank you everyone for your advice! Very helpful! Just a quick question.

I've found some jungle Val and I want to add it to my tank. Everywhere I'm reading is that it is incredible hard to kill. Like I said above I don't add any co2 and just have a bubble bar. In theory, should the jungle var survive and grow?

I've had it take over the tank with just soil, fish food and water changes as nutrients. It does well in hard water too. Should be fine. Split the runners and replant the new shoots where you want them as they have a tendency to wander where they want.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom