Has anyone ever added a 2nd clown successfully?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AR15 guy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a small O. clown in my 10 gallon. I am wanting to add 1 more fish to this tank. I was going to get a firefish but have heard they are jumpy. I have no hood so it could just out of my tank.

I would like to get another clown but many people have told me its hit or miss. Supposedly sometimes you can add a second and sometimes you can't.

Think I should try another clown? The one I purchased was tank raised if that matters. And it is still pretty small.

The only way to add a new one is to get the absolutely tiniest one you can get. It needs to be alot smaller than the one you already have. Only that way can you be hopeful about getting a pair instead of two females.

I may try that. Local store gets a shipment in Wednesday. I may get up there early and try to get the smallest one. Mine is pretty small so I may have to give mine awhile to grow before I can find one that is much smaller.

I went to the LFS today and found a very healthy little clown. It is from a store I normally do not buy from. However he has been there for at least a couple weeks. I have had my eye on him and hes been doing good. So I bought him. He appears to be a O clown like my other. I added him (hes about 1'' other was 1.5''). They are doing great. No aggression at all.

Clowns can be jumpy also. One of the keys when adding another clown is to have your aquascaping so there are two unique areas for each to establish in. With such a small tank that might be hard to establish.

They still appear to be doing fine. I think it worked out because they are both very young. One is around 1'' and the other 1.5''. They are swimming and eating together. Haven't even seen either take a nip at each other yet. I didn't change the aquascaping yet but I have 30lbs of base rock in the mail. And about 10lbs of it is going in the 10 gallon. So I should be able to establish better territories for them.

IMO thats a pretty big loking 10 gal

glad it worked out good for you

Its a regular old 10 gallon. My clowns are still really small so maybe thats why.

I may eventually move them over to the 38 gallon. Not sure. The 38 won't be ready for awhile though.

do you have an anenome in there?

cause i want to create a SW tank and i want some clowns and i really want 2 anenomes

Nope, no anemone in there. Anemones require a lot of lighting and the tank needs to be well established before adding one. 1 pair of clowns will usually host the same anemone.

You don't really need an anemone to keep clowns. They may like it though. You don't need one unless you have a large tank and some aggressive tank mates possibly.

Back
Top Bottom