Has anyone successfuly raised and bred shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smileyface9

Aquarium Advice Freak
Had anyone successfully raised and bred shrimp? And what kind? How did you do it? :) post ur pics here too!

I have RCS that I got from jettajockey a few months ago and the shimp breed like crazy! I don't do anything except weekly water changes, make sure they get enough food without over feeding the tank and have plenty of java moss. For tankmates I have threadfin rainbows which don't seem to bother/eat the shrimp. :)

ocean said:
I have RCS that I got from jettajockey a few months ago and the shimp breed like crazy! I don't do anything except weekly water changes, make sure they get enough food without over feeding the tank and have plenty of java moss. For tankmates I have threadfin rainbows which don't seem to bother/eat the shrimp. :)

Thanks! :) and what does RCS stand for? I'm planning on getting a tank to breed shrimp in or little snails I found in a stream near my house. They're friendly little ones. I have fish food, but what does yours like in particular?

smileyface9 said:
Thanks! :) and what does RCS stand for? I'm planning on getting a tank to breed shrimp in or little snails I found in a stream near my house. They're friendly little ones. I have fish food, but what does yours like in particular?

RCS stands for red cherry shrimp and eat flake, frozen, and shrimp pellets. They aren't picky eaters.

ocean said:
RCS stands for red cherry shrimp and eat flake, frozen, and shrimp pellets. They aren't picky eaters.

Awesome! :) thanks! How do i tell the males from the females?

smileyface9 said:
Awesome! :) thanks! How do i tell the males from the females?

The females are redder and bigger, I'll attach a picture of a female, picture isn't very good, using my phone camera.

Attachments

• IMG_20120104_221421-1-1.jpg
    IMG_20120104_221421-1-1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 135
The females have a "saddle." In rcs, they also get bigger and redder. RCS do seem to be one of most commonly available and easiest to breed shrimp. Yellow shrimp, bee shrimp, and blueberry shrimp are similar.
Rcs will eat algae (but preferably not exclusively), flakes, wafers, shrimp pellets, veggies, or whatever else. THey are not too picky. :)

ocean said:
The females are redder and bigger, I'll attach a picture of a female, picture isn't very good, using my phone camera.

Thank you! :) I know where I can get them nice and healthy! Along with a nice plant I saw them on that they liked. What temp do they do best in?

absolutangel04 said:
The females have a "saddle." In rcs, they also get bigger and redder. RCS do seem to be one of most commonly available and easiest to breed shrimp. Yellow shrimp, bee shrimp, and blueberry shrimp are similar.
Rcs will eat algae (but preferably not exclusively), flakes, wafers, shrimp pellets, veggies, or whatever else. THey are not too picky. :)

Thank you! :)

smileyface9 said:
Thank you! :) I know where I can get them nice and healthy! Along with a nice plant I saw them on that they liked. What temp do they do best in?

I keep the temp around 78-80*. If you can get some java moss, nice hiding place for the babies and a source of food for them to. They are always picking through the java moss. :) good luck with them. :)

ocean said:
I keep the temp around 78-80*. If you can get some java moss, nice hiding place for the babies and a source of food for them to. They are always picking through the java moss. :) good luck with them. :)

Any of your Neo shrimp, cherry, yellow, snowball, blue pearl are all super easy. If you can keep fish happy you can take care of these shrimp

PC1 said:
Any of your Neo shrimp, cherry, yellow, snowball, blue pearl are all super easy. If you can keep fish happy you can take care of these shrimp

Yeah I can do that. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom