Have a sand issue but need help with a solution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tonynose188

Aquarium Advice Activist
Levels are great.
0 phosphates
0 nitrates
Between 8.02-8.20 pH
Temp 79.2
Flow is good
I have a skimmer

Tanks is 4 months old

Feeding schedule
Mon wed Fri sun feed fish
Tuesday Thursday Saturday feed coral.

Any ideas on why my sand is turning brown, I have 2- two spot gobies to mix it up and sift sand. I have healthy growth of my corals and I do WCs every week . I use RO/DI water and reef salt in my mix and RO/DI with kalk for ATO.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121215_203524.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121215_203524.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 80
Extra oic

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121215_210046.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121215_210046.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 79
How deep is your sand bed? How many gallons is your tank... I think you do have a slight dead spot over there. Have you got any turbo snails in there?

29g jbj with hob skimmer / refugium. Sand bed is in the front about 1/2 inch. I have 3 turbos 2 2 spot gobies as well

Just took this this morning so my gobies must have been up all night haha but should I increase flow?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121217_113927.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121217_113927.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 56
I think you should increase the flow and maybe get more snails... General calculation is one turbo per every gallon of water. How long are your light on daily?

You could also try some pincushion urchins... Good algae eaters... But I think it looks good all in all nothing to really worry about. How often do you do your water changes and what is the quantity?

10% water changes every week. That algae gets deeper in color as the day goes on with the lights I am guessing (LED).

Hmmm try cutting down on the lights that should help... I generally get the actinics on by 7 and then the whites on by 9 and then the whites go off by 6 and the actinics are off by 8.30 or nine... I still think the algae issue you have is not too bad you can also try 15-20% changes and don't forget to get a few extra turbos... It should clear up...

Do the Arctic lights cause algae growth? Should I do daylight-Arctic-off for a daily setup

Well if you have your lights on for too long on a daily basis it will promote algae bloom... But don't knock the actinics off at any point during 7 to 8 cause of you only run your white lights without the actinics you won't get the proper colour temperature for your corals to grow...

Back
Top Bottom