Heater(s) in a 46 gallon bowfront tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

auribe14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up a new 46 gallon bowfront tank for goldfish. I will be using both an hob and undergravel filters.

The thermostat in our house is set for differing temps, so I figured I should use a heater to maintain the water temp in the rank at night.

My question is will one centrally located bigger heater be enough or should I go with two smaller heaters in the back corners (near the lift tubes)?

What type of Goldfish? A lot of hobbyists feel Fancies do better in 72-74 degree water. It also helps them digest faster which can aid with bouancy issues.

If its a comet or a common I wouldn't worry unless your house temp fluctuates drastically.

You really only need 1 heater rated for the size of your tank for goldfish because the temp never really need to be much higher than room temp. Unless your house is 65 F degrees or something crazy.

Good advice on heaters! This is just a suggestion-please do your research first- but you may want to reconsider the UGF before you actually stock/cycle your tank. Opinions vary on UGFs but i have found UGFs & goldfish do not mix very well especially do to goldies messiness. The filth that accumulates under the plates can become quite a nightmare & the only option for cleaning under them is ripping your tank apart & draining it & flushing it well. Live plants do not work very well either. I would recommend adding a 2nd hob/canister & skipping the UGF altogether. Good luck with your new tank & your goldies!!

Back
Top Bottom