Heck's dirted tank rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am digging that buddha I've seen it before but I still like it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's growing on me, this is technically the mrs tank, she has some weird fascination with Buddha, we have like 6 statues in my house

Added a piece of sandblasted grapevine in today after work

Read online that it was safe still going to be watching it carefully

It's a little big but I think it helps the tank a lot, just need some moss to go on those branches

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441155683.503512.jpg

Excuse the glass algae on the sides please, I am lazy after work today

I like the tank! I think that wood needs to be covered in Java moss. Is grape vine the type of wood they use in herp terrariums?

Cha boi Jessie.

I like the tank! I think that wood needs to be covered in Java moss. Is grape vine the type of wood they use in herp terrariums?

Cha boi Jessie.

I believe it is, I found the piece in the lizard section at a small new pet store in town that opened up next to my work, it's sand blasted and I think it's pretty bangin for a 10$ piece

I would prefer Java moss but I can't find it around here, I think ill have some Christmas moss here soon so that should do nicely, it takes up more lower space than I was planning though so I'll probably end up moving a lot of the crypt undulata to the back or to the 29g

Excited about seeing what the next week or two brings though

I believe it is, I found the piece in the lizard section at a small new pet store in town that opened up next to my work, it's sand blasted and I think it's pretty bangin for a 10$ piece

I would prefer Java moss but I can't find it around here, I think ill have some Christmas moss here soon so that should do nicely, it takes up more lower space than I was planning though so I'll probably end up moving a lot of the crypt undulata to the back or to the 29g

Excited about seeing what the next week or two brings though

I don't know my guy, I thought grapevine rots pretty quick in water being that it's a soft wood. Does look sweet though, manzanita is a hardwood option but not as cheap. ?

Cha boi Jessie.

I don't know my guy, I thought grapevine rots pretty quick in water being that it's a soft wood. Does look sweet though, manzanita is a hardwood option but not as cheap. ?

Cha boi Jessie.

We will see, if it rots it rots I guess

Manzanita is pretty much out of the question for me though as all the pieces I see online are like 30$ plus like 15 shipping

Can't justify that

It's what I wanted but just can't find any locally

I found one nice branch of manzanita at a Marshall's department store. Originally priced at $20 marked down to $5. May have been a fluke because it was the only piece I found there. You might want to checkout places that sell bridal/wedding supplies.

I found one nice branch of manzanita at a Marshall's department store. Originally priced at $20 marked down to $5. May have been a fluke because it was the only piece I found there. You might want to checkout places that sell bridal/wedding supplies.

Didn't know those kinds of places sold it thanks for the heads up

One month update:

Getting some really bangin plant growth in my crypts the past month

You should see the size of some of the leaves on the wendtii

Am having a bit of a hair like algae problem though, any suggestions

I bumped the light down to about 7 hours a day from a 5 on 4 off 5 on 10 off cycle

I also added some Amazon frogbit to help cut down some of the light as well

Do you guys think that will be enough to get rid of it?

Thanks for following along, here is a FTS
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444425667.144487.jpg

Why don't you just turn the light on for less time? Glad it's going well. What's the stocking lost again?? for the fish I mean.

Why don't you just turn the light on for less time? Glad it's going well. What's the stocking lost again?? for the fish I mean.

I cut it down three hours last week and it seems to be helping, I didn't think it was good for the plants to have less than 7 hours so I don't want to cut it down more

And stock is:
1-half moon beta
6- neon tetras
4- panda Cory cats

It's a little overstocked according to aquadvisor, but my nitrates haven't hit 5 ppm in months so I figured it's ok

Added a piece of sandblasted grapevine in today after work

Read online that it was safe still going to be watching it carefully

It's a little big but I think it helps the tank a lot, just need some moss to go on those branches

View attachment 277304

Excuse the glass algae on the sides please, I am lazy after work today

Grapevine is fine. Shouldn't have any worries there. Had some in a tank for 4yrs now. Looks great man.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Grapevine is fine. Shouldn't have any worries there. Had some in a tank for 4yrs now. Looks great man.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks!

It's been in there a month and a half and it still feels nice and firm all the way around so I was thinking I was in the clear on it, but it's nice to have some reassurance

About how high should I raise it?

Well, if you are able and your plants aren't too demanding, start raising it 2 inches maybe and then go from there.

That's only if decreasing the photoperiod doesn't help.

I think decreasing the photoperiod tends to slow down algae rather than stopping it.

It's only crypts swords and moss in there so I think raising the light would be ok

Heck what's the verdict on raising your lights?!?

I think I'm gonna go to Home Depot tomorrow and get some wall brackets or shelf supports so I can raise it a bit.

I have some jump cord, do you think that will hold the light fine?

Back
Top Bottom