Hello and help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike150470

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, Mike here in the UK, new to keeping fish as a sort of accident! As it is I've fallen foul of the listen to a pet store salesperson and now have 7 five banded barb living in a 60 litre tank. I have a question or 2, first being my ph is showing as 8, which is too high for my fish, how should I drop it? My second question is I am showing 0 nitrites but up to 5 nitrates and 0 ammonia, why the nitrates with 0 nitrites?

Mike150470 said:
Hello everyone, Mike here in the UK, new to keeping fish as a sort of accident! As it is I've fallen foul of the listen to a pet store salesperson and now have 7 five banded barb living in a 60 litre tank. I have a question or 2, first being my ph is showing as 8, which is too high for my fish, how should I drop it? My second question is I am showing 0 nitrites but up to 5 nitrates and 0 ammonia, why the nitrates with 0 nitrites?

Hey there and welcome to the wonderful world of fish keeping lol :D do you know about cycling? your PH shouldn't really be an issue as long as its stable, most fish are tank bred and can handle a wider range of PH than their wild counterparts, it just has to be a stable PH and not fluctuate. As for your other results you want to have 0 ammonia and nitrIte, nitrAte is the end product of the nitrogen cycle and high nitrates are diluted when you do your weekly pwc. 5 ppm of nitrate is fine to have.

Back
Top Bottom