Hello! And quick question :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZoophobiaMisfit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!! I'm new :) I've been scrolling through this app for a while and love it with all its great information!! Decided to start up a profile because I did have a quick question that is kind of off topic.

I found a brick outside. I wanted to clean it up for my Texas Spiney lizard terrarium but didn't know the best way to do so. I figured this might be a good place to start as I know every thing that goes in a fish tank must be rinsed and such or you'll mess up some things and potentially loss some fish on the way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

And just so everyone knows!! I do have a 5g tank with one male betta named Blue, whom I've had for a good 6 months now, and a moss ball. Been thinking about setting up at 10g but haven't decided on just about anything (I have been thinking about a pleco? Maybe?!). But I so want to do more with fish and aquarium plants maybe. So yeah!! That's just about it! Glad to be apart of this aquarium family ^.^

Welcome to the forum. I don't know much about terrariums, but I would think the brick would be ok as long as you cleaned it well and sterilized it with boiling water.

For some reason boiling it in water spaced my mind. ?? That is probably what I will end up doing actually. It does seem like the better option. Thank you so much! And thank you for the welcome!!

boiling rock or brick is not recommended as there can be air pockets in rock or brick and it can explode like a hand gran-aid

Hi welcome! I've used bricks with no issues (mainly if were sprayed with pesticides or anything) but be careful not to pick any that will leach lime/cement.

Welcome, and if there was any sprays used in the yard, near, or on the brick.

Spray for wasp nests/jellow jackets is a neurotoxin and is often used around the yard, and the sprays "drift" and I am not sure about all the other sprays there are around, but it could be a hazard.

Even new bricks, or materials from a big store like a big box hardware store could be sprayed with ant, bug or roach poisons, etc, if they are anywhere a commercial service would be to spray something or a random employee trying to get rid of some pest bugs. Just beware. Especially if anything is near the ground (easyist place to spray around).

I was literally about to boil this thing when I checked on here just in case someone had something else ?? good thing I didnt!! Thanks for saving me ??

I didn't think about pesticides and such things. I don't think there would be much on it as my apartments maintenence crew sucks. But there could always be a possiblity, as I don't know for sure and have never asked about these things. I have Wipe Out which is like a terrarium cleaner. Perhaps I could use that? Or vinegar I've heard floating about is a really good natural cleaner?

I've read that you can soak potential rocks in vinager, to test for alcalinity that would affect the tank( they will bubble or fizz)

This in mind, I would think it's ok to scrub using vinager, then pour boiled water over the brick. Pouring over lets you sterilize without exploding [emoji6]

I usually pour water at least once per side to get into crevices

Maybe the terrarium cleaner first.

Then scrub with baking soda and vinegar, much more fun than vinegar alone!!! And a great cleaner!

Rinse, rinse, rinse, and then sit in extra strength treated Prime water overnight.

I have done many terrariums in the past. As long as the rock will stay dry and not but in or next to water and the terrarium has good ventilation it doesn't really matter if the rock has any anything on it. Be it paint or anything else. Chemicals and toxins will break down over time and be vented out.

However if it is going to be wet or you don't have good ventilation than I would wash it with vinegar and baking soda. Maybe a rinse with diluted iodine as well. Then soaked overnight in clean water and air dried for a couple of days.

I am an American that lives in Israel.
I find beautiful rocks in the Negev desert all the time that I bring back home for my aquariums and terrariums.

The best decor can never be found in a pet store.

Thank you so much for the suggestion ^.^ I would love to see your terrariums. They sound beautiful just knowing you get everything from outside in the desert ^.^

Back
Top Bottom