Hello from Southwest Fl!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kittywolf13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! I came to this forum just looking for advice and general information. My family and I are avid ichthyologist's :p I've had fish in my life all since i can remember. we have only have had fresh water though. but we've had oscar's (my moms favorite!) , goldfish, bettas, shovel nose cat fish, cicchlids of all kinds, gouramis including a giant gourami...archer fish, all sorts of fish, but we always come back to goldfish. i really love them and bettas!

I recently got married so i moved out of my family home. My mother has some goldfish, koi, 2 blood parrots, and 2 silver dollars (and i think a pleco or two.) My brother is building my mother a pond in the back yard for her koi and goldfish... so shes planning on down sizing.

I recently picked up a 5 gallon fish tank, now i know this is a hot button topic from what i've briefly read... but we have a small place so i cant have a large tank. (no room for the tank, stand, and whatever else is needed.) It's a pretty nifty tank, its long and short, but came with a filter and hood and everything. ive honestly never seen a 5 gallon tank shaped like this.

i've always wanted to try a tank with live plants, to make a nice aquascape. not sure i can afford to do that right now. but i figure the tanks future is probably a really cool betta tank, with maybe a few shrimps or a snail for a mate with some interesting decor or some small schooling fish that dont grow big. im still doing some research for it, and i still need to set it up to start cycling and stuff like that. I also really enjoy Marimo's so id love to throw some various size marimo in the tank as well. i have a tiny one currently just sitting in a jar.

Here's a pic of the tank just while i was testing to make sure it held water. (i got it at a thrift store for 10 bucks, it doesnt show the filter but it has a brand new hood with working florescent bulb, and the filter looks like its never been used!)

Cute fish tank by kittywolf13, on Flickr

I just thought it was so unique looking i couldnt pass it up. its got a slight bow front. it fits perfectly on my entry way table... i just miss having a fish tank. So i hope everyone will be gracious and give me some advice and such...ive never had a living tank before but that would be the ultimate goal... but if not i just want a nice little tank. :D

:fish1:

thought id share an update, tomorrow im adding water and start cycling the water

tank update by kittywolf13, on Flickr

The treasure chest probably wont stay, even if i go the fake route id like it to be more natural looking. like with rocks, logs, or a light asian theme. i just picked it out of my old stash of fish tank stuff. less stuff to buy in the beginning is better for me.

Welcome to AA, Kitty!!!

Interesting little 5g tank! I honestly have not seen one quite like this before. It sounds like your doing a great job working on making a happy home for your future betta! If you have questions, please do not hesitate to ask! :)

I think your tank is actually 6.6 gallons and not 5 gallons. It strongly resembles the Bookshelf Aquarium by Petco. Does it have a bow front? I bought one years ago. It comes with an external filter, plastic lid, and single T-8 bulb. 24" long...nice footprint for a tank that size. Retails for around $50. I don't use mine much anymore except for holding plants.

Welcome to AA, Kitty!!!

Interesting little 5g tank! I honestly have not seen one quite like this before. It sounds like your doing a great job working on making a happy home for your future betta! If you have questions, please do not hesitate to ask! :)

Thank you! i keep getting this from everyone i share the tank to! thank you so much!

I think your tank is actually 6.6 gallons and not 5 gallons. It strongly resembles the Bookshelf Aquarium by Petco. Does it have a bow front? I bought one years ago. It comes with an external filter, plastic lid, and single T-8 bulb. 24" long...nice footprint for a tank that size. Retails for around $50. I don't use mine much anymore except for holding plants.

EDIT: So after looking at a few pictures on line and youtube box openings you are absolutely right!! Sounds like your right! so far i havent found it at any of my local stores. but i havent been to petco yet. (actually not sure we have one. lol.) Yeah i thought it was so unique and for 10 bucks i figured the filter alone was worth more then that! :) so i couldnt resist picking it up. its so cool. i like funky tanks. cant wait till i can put some fish in it. :)

I think it is real nice looking tank and will make for a very happy betta if you do get one. What a great price. Alison. And by the way hello from South west ,Fla.:D

By the way, I forgot a couple of things. Welcome to the forum:flowers:. I too have just recently learned about the marimo moss balls and I find them fascinating. The pet supermarket in my area have just gotten some in at 2.99 each so I bought 4. One for my betta's bowl and three for my ten gallon and they are big ones, a little larger than a golfball.:D. Also I went to Petco in Port Charolette yesterday and they have beautiful Bettas of all different kinds. Vtails, crowntails, double tails, butterfly tails, half moons and a couple of other types. It might be worth checking for a petco in your area to see what they have. This store gets their new fish in on Teusdays. Alison :fish2:

By the way, I forgot a couple of things. Welcome to the forum:flowers:. I too have just recently learned about the marimo moss balls and I find them fascinating. The pet supermarket in my area have just gotten some in at 2.99 each so I bought 4. One for my betta's bowl and three for my ten gallon and they are big ones, a little larger than a golfball.:D. Also I went to Petco in Port Charolette yesterday and they have beautiful Bettas of all different kinds. Vtails, crowntails, double tails, butterfly tails, half moons and a couple of other types. It might be worth checking for a petco in your area to see what they have. This store gets their new fish in on Teusdays. Alison :fish2:

Thank you so much for all the info! Im in naples, so punta gorda is a bit of a hike for a betta. :p i have to see because i dont think i have a petco in the area anymore. i think im going to head out to a local fish store, that isnt a chain (if its still open. i havent been in it in ages.) maybe pick up a few more plants. :)

I want some cherry shrimp too. >_>; but i think i should get them last so they have some algae and debris and stuff to eat. though im tempted to get some now. LOL

Naples is a good sized city . Google petco and you can find out if any is located near you. And your right you are about a hundred miles south of me. I have only been there once and that was in the early 90's. Betta's are such friendly little fish I have a red crowntail named Red. No imagination:lol:. Good luck with your search. If I ever get another 10 gal I will also get some cherry shrimp, I don't think they would do well in my tank with the 4 ghost shrimp. Alison :)

Back
Top Bottom