Help. A crack in tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FitnessPleese

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon tank. Seven years old. I do a clean every two weeks. Today, I seen a crack on the side of the tank, starting at the top where the black part is and its thin and about 2.5 to 3 inches long. It is NOT leaking. I am so worried about this and do not know what to do. PLEASE HELP ME.

I’ve never dealt with a cracked tank but if it were my tank I would probably immediately lower the water level below the crack to relieve the pressure and replace the tank ASAP. Like today if possible. Could be fine indefinitely. Could be 55 gallons of water and fish on your floor in an hour. No way to know and not a risk I’d be willing to take.

Technically you could repair it with silicone but personally I wouldn’t trust it.

but the heater has to have enough water in it to not "pop". This has never been an issue for me neither. I have been a hobbyist forever. I just noticed it today, not sure it happened when I was cleaning, was it like this and I just noticed or what?? It is very thin, but that pressure water has!!! It is not growing as of now, and I did the cleaning an hour ago. This sucks... Thanks for the rreply.

This is true. I just measured from where the black rim is where the hood goes on and it would have to be 3.5 inches empty from top ugh!!!

I wouldn't take a chance. Replace the glass or get a new tank. Acrylic tanks are more expensive but I've had many of them for several years. I think they are way better than glass and they never crack.

Back
Top Bottom