Help. First venture into salt. 20gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molliwopp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im considering making a nano reef with a 20gallon when i move the last freshies to my 65.

What are some of the basics i need to know about salt that differ to fresh? What extra equipment will i need to buy?

Come on guys.

Do it the right way... I went in thinking it was easy and bought my 6 gallon tank (if I researched would have gotten a 30-50 gallon) for my daughter for her Bday. Overpaid for tank, and obvious limited space in 6 gallon. Plus my daughter lost interest after a week and it became my expensive project.

First and foremost lighting is the essential equipment for your tank. I recommend led and 3 watts per gallon min. Get something on eBay or from some of the sellers on this site.

Think about what stock u want beforehand and research around your LFS and websites because prices will always vary. Remember to cycle your tank the right way to avoid problems later on. I was told from a LFS that my tank would be fine to put fish in after two days, so I bought 2 clown fish.. Safe to say they died 2 weeks later and I recycled the right way and have had the same entire family since then. I have 2 clown fish, 1 damsel and a nice little cuc. I think I lost a few snails & gave back 2 peppermint shrimp because they destroyed one of my corals. So this stock has been alive close to 10 months and that is with hurricane sandy knocking my power out for 6 days and the water dropping to the upper 50's and me heating it up with warmed up water bottles and stirring w/ a spoon. These guys are warriors.

Thanks. Im not new to keeping fish and understand cycles and im an avid researcher. What are the difference from salt and freshwater guys.

That's a very broad question. You going for fish only? Reef only? Reef with fish? SPS, LPS, softies, anemones? All of these things will make your equipment requirements very different. If you go fish only then the lights you
Use will make no difference. Certain corals need different light intensities so depending on that you might want LEDs or halides or even compact fluorescents. You will need a heavier flow then a normal freshwater tank. You will want your pump or filter be able to turn over all the water in your tank about 10x in volume per hour (so a 20 gallon tank you will want a pump that will give you 200 gallons an hour, but keep in mind that if you have a sump that you will need a more powerful one due to head loss) you will need a good clean up crew (provided that you don't get fish that would eat them) a mix of hermit crabs and snails. A power head is always a good idea too. Helps keep water movement and reduces dead zones.
Would really help US give YOU advice if you had an idea of what you want to put in there. Helps us help you choose tankmates and equipment to stock your tank with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom