Help fish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Virginfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Every couple of weeks a fish or 2 die. All of a sudden they float upside down still breathing then usually die within 12hours. My tank is roughly 6 weeks old. I had the water tested a week ago and the water is fine. I have a 17 gallon tank. with 5 x cardinal Neons, 3 x molies 2 x Guppies, 1x clown loach and 1 x Another loach black with a red tail which is currently floating. So please help.

I would buy an API Master Test Kit and do those water tests yourself. How often do you change your water? And what filter are you using?

I do a 10% water a change once a week. But After my last water change i added the rest of the fish. Previously i only had 2 guppies and 1 molly.
My Tank Is:
New easy access hood,
Integral lighting 1 x 15w tube,
Separate feeder flap,
Cut out for option auto feeder.
Integrated Bioflow filter system,
Large 1.25litre filter volume,
Quick and easy access to the sponges for cleaning,
Integrated 50w heater.
Volume,63 litres
Juwel Bioflow Super filter system.
Bottom frame eliminates the need for support material.
Outer dimension including cover, 60x30x42cm

so you added 10 fish at once and this all started happening afterwards? I'd say youre probably going through a mini cycle, if not a full cycle. IMO, you should do 50% pwc's at least once a day until you get a good liquid test kit so you can test the levels daily. You probably have high ammonia which is killing the fish. Hard to say without actual test numbers

I'm assuming your tank isn't cycled despite your equipment. I'd up the water changes to about 50% once or twice a day for about 3 weeks until the tank is cycled. If you haven't already invested in a python gravel vac, I'd recommend getting one. A 17 gallon tank I'd say was way too small for all those fish you added, which may have caused a huge amount of ammonia/nitrite which is what's killing your fish.

I assume also that you know the basics of fish keeping, but keep making sure you use water conditioner with every water change, and I'd also recommend only feeding your fish once a day, or as I do once every two days.

Yes i added 9 fish a once, but this was happening before when i had just 4 fish. I have a Battery powered gravel filter. Cannot find a python gravel cleaner in the UK.

I am using the bacterial booster and water conditoner every time i do a water change.

I was told by various shops that i could have between a minimum 12 and 20 fish depending on size of fish and how many water changes i do.

I have the wife doing a 50% water change as i type hopefully this will do the trick.

I was told by various shops that i could have between a minimum 12 and 20 fish depending on size of fish and how many water changes i do.
that is true... if you stick with neons or some other very small fish like that. the clown loaches need to go, they need a 50+ gallon tank. the mollies can get around 3-5". You're either going to have to get rid of the mollies and get a few more neons, or get rid of the neons and guppies and just have the mollies (which will eventually outgrow the tank).

I am using the bacterial booster and water conditoner every time i do a water change.

I have the wife doing a 50% water change as i type hopefully this will do the trick.

Ok, first off stop using the bacterial booster. It's great for starting a tank cycle but not so good for regular water changes and maintenance. I tried using one of those with my weekly changes on 2 tanks, almost lost all the fish in 1 and did lose all the fish in another. That crap sends tanks into another cycle. You're adding dead or barely live bacteria, which in turn spike your levels. Just use water conditioner when you change the water, nothing else. Don't go for ammonia reducing products, don't go for any of that stuff. Just water conditioner and water changes. That's honestly all you need.

Fish stores tell you that so they can have a sale. Honestly, do you like to be cramped in a small space with a load of other people? I think I read that your tank is a 17g? IMHO I wouldn't put more than 8-9 fish in there. I'm not sure if they talk the "one inch per gallon" thing where you are, but it's a load of poo. Going by that, you could put a 16 inch oscar in a 16 inch tank, yeah I think not. :)

As was suggested, get your own test kit. First of all it's more convenient. Secondly if your store doesn't do the test right or rinse the tubes properly you will get false readings. I took my water into a store here because they wouldn't honor their dead return policy since we had returned quite a few fish to them. They went to test the pH and the dumb employee put her finger of the tube instead of the stopper to shake it. Ummm hello!! Our skin will give a pH reading. So she said our pH was off the high end chart, I told her she was full of crap and redid the test, using the stopper. Then told her manager about it. I got my returned fish and a store credit for $50.00. :)

Thanks alot guys for all your guidance, got my water tested today almost perfect. Got a tablet kit to test the water very confusing with the colour charts. Aquatic shop is only 5 minutes away. Also gives my little un a trip out.:)

Yes i added 9 fish a once, but this was happening before when i had just 4 fish. I have a Battery powered gravel filter. Cannot find a python gravel cleaner in the UK.

How long did you wait between adding fish? It takes time for your tank to build up enough bacteria to deal with the bioload of all the fish, the more you add the more chance of something going wrong. I would wait at least 2 weeks and check the water before adding anymore, and you should probably add them a little more slowly.

I agree with whoever said your tank was overstocked also. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom