Help guppy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vienolac

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently got a guppy and added him to my tank.
I think he may be sick. He was fine yesterday. But today he is underneath the ship. And when i fed them all the fish are except him. He stayed there,

I just did my water test yesterday and my ammonium was 0 my nitrite was 0 but I think my nitrate was a little high maybe between 30-40ppm and my oh was like 7.3

Here are pictures of the tank. And the fish.

Attachments

• image-2611126279.jpg
    image-2611126279.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 98
  • image-2152971486.jpg
    image-2152971486.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 92
  • image-1850775291.jpg
    image-1850775291.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 96
1st I suggest a large 50% water change with a good gravel vacuuming, you have to get the nitrates down. Next see if he perks up, then test your water again. Any other symptoms other than hiding? You may need to pry him out from under the ship so we can see/get a better picture.

Is your tank cycled? How long?
Filter?
Tank mates?

Nitrates aren't the problem, but you should bring them down before they get worse. Did you acclimate the fish before adding?

Yes I did acclimate the fish properly.
My gf has informed me that he had a few small chunks missing out of his back fin like he was bein nipped.

Also I have had the tank for maybe 2 weeks or 3 weeks. An in pretty sure it is fully cycled.

I am thinking we overstocked our tank quite severely... Somehow we ended up with 4 guppies. 2 Molly's. 1 rainbow fun shark a swordtail and a platy. In a 10 gallon. Here in a few days I am going to switch it all to a 20 gallon tank.

So it could have been some issues with not enough room. And over stressed fish

Could not get good photos, but it does look like his tail was bitten a few times he is missing part. Hard to see in the photos

He is currently in a bowl in the tank. Anchored down so it doesn't tip or fill up with water.

Attachments

• image-3161524231.jpg
    image-3161524231.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 86
  • image-1524532086.jpg
    image-1524532086.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 77
  • image-3739783769.jpg
    image-3739783769.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 83
What I would like to know now....

Should I put him back in the tank, or keep him in the container for now?...

id keep him in the container and keep the water as clean as possible lots of water changes as long as the temps stable enough.
otherwise put a breeder net in the tank with him in it if hes getting bullied u dont want to put him back in just yet. whats the temp of the tank? but yeah definatley as mentioned a 50% water change and gravel vac. Yes you are overstocked so untill u get the 20g up and running lots of pwc and gravel vacs. The rainbow shark needs a 55g so definatley rehome him if u can. I was doing some research abd read that swordtails may bully more petite fish such as guppys so that might explain the nipped fins. You could always leave the 10g for the gups and put the rest in the 20g.

The temperature is 78 on the opposite side of my thermometer.

How long should I keep him in the container untill he is bigger ? Or maybe a few days?

And on the note I have 3 other guppies, but this one that was attacked is the smallest of all the fish.

try slowly raising the temp a bit to 82 so as not to shock them by doing it too fast. The underdog tends to be the one that gets picked on. Wait untill hes doing better and seems stronger but id think if he goes back in hed just end up being picked on untill u have the bigger tank for them. oh just a thought whats you male to female ratio with the gupps? is the one getting picked on a female and the rest males by any chance?

This is definitely a result of being overstocked. A bigger tank will help, but bettas are hit or miss in a community. I've also heard of guppies being nasty little pricks. I'm not too sure you'll ever be able to house that betta with your stock as it stands, but you could definitely give it a shot. I would provide that dude with plenty of cover, maybe some plants with bigger leaves. You should wait until you get that bigger tank before trying anything.

creic38 said:
This is definitely a result of being overstocked. A bigger tank will help, but bettas are hit or miss in a community. I've also heard of guppies being nasty little pricks. I'm not too sure you'll ever be able to house that betta with your stock as it stands, but you could definitely give it a shot. I would provide that dude with plenty of cover, maybe some plants with bigger leaves. You should wait until you get that bigger tank before trying anything.

I don't have a Betta?

Also. I plan on going ahead and moving them to a 20 gallon tank today after I get off of work. Since I have to get a new pump. Which means new bb. What is the most efficient thing I can do to make sure my tank cycle is short lived?

Whoops.....must've been reading another thread too. The madness.....

BB Beneficial Bacteria

Run both the new and the old filter on your new 20 gallon, also move decor, gravel/sand as well. These all contain BB, also do not clean/replace filter pad for a couple weeks to allow the BB to establish.

So did not change the tank, my girlfriend asked me to wait untill she gets a day off lol.
I did do a 50% water change.
Ewwww. Fish water is gross lol

Anyways. Tuesday I shall be tank swapping. Still got to get more rocks anyways

So here Is a new picture of the guppy.

I feel as tho the platy is the one attacking him. Always chasing him around the tank.

I also believe. His tail has been nipped at more since I put him back in the tank

Attachments

• image-1059822164.jpg
    image-1059822164.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 77
So it's kind of interesting.

Just to note.
The other fish seem to be protecting the little guppy, and every time the merigold platy starts to chase him all the other fish or at least all the other guppies will chase him off, and sometimes the sword tail and mollies do the same.
However the shark still tends to himself.

Interesting how the fish have personalities it seems

Back
Top Bottom