Help! I am semi-clueless. I would like to transition to Discus in my aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sgwallis12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I received a 55 gallon aquarium for Christmas, and a 12 gallon for Valentines Day. I am totally new to the hobby. I have stocked with community fish and lightly planted (app. 15 plants in the 55, and 4 in the 12). I am doing 20% water changes once a week and testing my water quality at least twice a week. My ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all perfect. My ph has leveled at 7.0. I currently have 3 Gouramis, 1 Royal Tiger Pleco, 1 Featherfin, (please bare with me I have no clue as to the scientific names), as well as a pair of Mickey Mouse Platys (with 6 baby Platys), 1 blue lobster and 1 Red Tail Shark. The Platy's have been moved to the 12 gallon due to the fact that they keep reproducing. The rest are in the 55. I also have a T-5 HO 2-tube light, (I think it is a total of 100 watts), and lunar lights (only because they are really cool.) I would like to transition over to mostly Discus. I have been waiting until I learned more before I spent that kind of money on fish. I have app. 40# of finer black rock over 30# of Flourite for my substrate. I am using 2 Fluval 205 canister filters. I have 1 large and 1 medium piece of Driftwood, and one large smooth white rock. What do I need to change in order to introduce Discus? I am already shopping for a 29 gallon for my daughters room and plan on transferring what fish I can't keep in the 55 with Discus. Are there certain fish that I can't keep with the Discus? Are there certain plants that I should get? What is the best way to start introducing them? PLEASE advise!

Welcome to the site! I would post your questions in the FW section, where you will get a lot more responses.

SGWallis, I have never kept Discus and don't know much from experience, but I have heard some things.

I've heard that discus prefer acidic and soft water, so a lower ph and very soft water would be good things for them. I've also heard that they're very "dirty" fish. "Dirty" in the sense that the have a big bioload, sort of like goldfish do, they're messy.

Also they like much warmer temperatures from what I recall, I think around 85, but I could be wrong here. Most discus tanks I've seen have only had discus in them and a cleaning crew (plecos, cories, and other algae eating bottom dwelling fish); so I don't know what they're compatable with.

As far as plants go, like angels, I'm sure they'd prefer taller plants with long leaves that they can swim through, though surely they'd appreciate the benefits of any live plants.

OK I have discus and I have been exactly where you are. First kudos to you for asking questions first. Second discus can survive quite happily at a ph of 7.0. They require a stable ph more than anything. Your tanks should be established at least 3 months before adding discus. They are more sensitive to water parameters. If you plan on getting juvies, get them all at once if possible. I would recommend 5 juvies. As they get older and bigger that may or may not work out as far as aggression goes. Be prepared to do larger water changes once or twice a week, I do 50% once a week and 25% inbetween the 50%.

I'd invest in a cannister filter. Discus are not fond of currents. Temps need to be 83-86 F for discus to thrive. Mine are in a heavily planted tank and they love it. You can check my profile page for the gallery of my discus tank if you want.

Discus are prone to parasites and hex. Make sure to have some meds and if possible get them from a breeder.

All good advice from Zagz. I keep discus too and can support everything she said. I also think juvies are the best way to go as they are cheaper and you can watch them grow. They will prefer a slightly higher temp of around 88 though until they reach about 3.5 inches. The higher temps mean a higher metabolism though and this means more frequent feedings. Juvies should be fed 3-4 times a day...a lot of breeders I know feed every 3 HOURS.

Discus ARE messy...they excrete a lot of waste. I've gotten by changing my discus tank water once every week to ten days at about 20% and they are doing fine. One thing to keep in mind though is that if you do go with juvies you may want to grow them out in a 29 gallon tank for 2-3 months. At any rate, check back with us and we can give you some tips on what to avoid when purchasing discus.

For plants, I'd go with some type of val (I prefer jungle vals) and anubias are good too because they don't require much lighting to grow. Some swords would also be ideal.

I would get rid of all other fish except for the pleco. The platies are especially big producers of waste. Discus are very sensitive fish especially for water quality. I have had many discus in the past and they got along with the plecos very well. They don't like quick moving fish and are very timid. When you first introduce them to the tank you might try to cover the tank so they can't see you and won't be spooked so easily. If They are spooked they may not eat and may not do so well. After a two week period you can begin to remove the cover. If they are eating well they should do well. Just remember to change the water often you may even want to get a water softener. THey are small and rechargeable at the pet store. Recharge with salt water. Good luck with the discuss they are amazingly beautiful fish.

Just remember to change the water often you may even want to get a water softener. THey are small and rechargeable at the pet store. Recharge with salt water.

The only water softeners I've heard of are the ones used for houses which replace the hardness with salt and aren't recommended for use with aquariums. Are you refering to DI or RO units which actually remove hardness from the water or something else altogether?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom