HELP!!! i have a killer hawk!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JordanJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so, I read about these "super cool, get-along-with-everybody" flaco hawks, and thought I just HAD to have one! Now, I can't keep any other fish in my tank because he kills them all! He has killed a powder blue, 6 bangaii, a medium sized anthias, and is now after my new potters angel! This fish has GOT TO GO! We have tried traps, putting food in a net, blinding him at night, even a fishing jig and the thing is just too smart. He sees us come up to the glass and he hides, unless we are feeding. We have SOOO much live rock and coral that netting him is impossible. Anyone know another way other than tearing the tank apart? He only tries to kill new fish, all the fish we had before him (maroon clown, gramma, yellow tang, scooter blenny), he doesn't bother. HELLLPPPP!!!

Ok so, I read about these "super cool, get-along-with-everybody" flaco hawks, and thought I just HAD to have one! Now, I can't keep any other fish in my tank because he kills them all! He has killed a powder blue, 6 bangaii, a medium sized anthias, and is now after my new potters angel! This fish has GOT TO GO! We have tried traps, putting food in a net, blinding him at night, even a fishing jig and the thing is just too smart. He sees us come up to the glass and he hides, unless we are feeding. We have SOOO much live rock and coral that netting him is impossible. Anyone know another way other than tearing the tank apart? He only tries to kill new fish, all the fish we had before him (maroon clown, gramma, yellow tang, scooter blenny), he doesn't bother. HELLLPPPP!!!

Ugh...not sure I'd say they get along with EVERYBODY....
"A 30 gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of hiding places is acceptable for this hardy and aggressive fish. It should not be kept with larger more aggressive hawkfish. Although it eats small fish and shrimp, with caution, it can make an excellent reef inhabitant."

Its hardy, its aggressive...and it sounds like yours may be possessed as a bonus :(

Wish I had good advice for you on getting the bugger out - unfortunately if your tank is large and aquascaped it can be nearly impossible to pry a determined hider out without ripping everything apart.

How large is your tank, by the way?

When I have my trap set up mine usually swims right in to feed on whatever I am baiting with. Actually all my fish besides the one I am trying to catch takes the free meal out of my trap it's actually quite comical as they seem to wait in line to go get the meal.

From watching my hawkfish which is also very aggressive to new tank mates I have learned that I wont be able to get any slow moving fish because he also killed my bangai's but since he is one of my favorite fish I am not gonna get rid of him so instead I just add faster moving fish since the falco is only quick in bursts. Since I have started to that I have been fine.

Bighabeeb, it is a 120 gal reef tank. And I believe your right, he IS POSSESSED!

FD, I tried the trap, he KNOWS we hate him and want him gone, so he stays far far away from anything we put in there!

Back
Top Bottom