Help ID fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FireGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just inherited a tank with a few fish and live rock. The inhabitants are a Yellow Tang, Clown, Serpent Star, a little crab and these two fish. Can anyone tell me what they are? Forgive the dirty glass...pictures always show what you missed. The entire setup was "free" and it is my first salt tank. (I have "freshy" tanks with African Cichlids). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• what-is-this-1.jpg
    what-is-this-1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 35
  • what-is-this-2.jpg
    what-is-this-2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 40
  • what-is-this-3.jpg
    what-is-this-3.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 34
The top fish looks like a white blenny (Meiacanthus smithii). The other one looks like a lantern bass (Serranus baldwini).

I was just looking at the same websites. definitely a White Blenny and a Lantern Bass. Thanks again.

Now...on to learning about the salt tank, maintenance, etc. The tank is dirty, needs a water change (previous owner said she hasn't changed the water for 3-4 months). Right now there is a PrizmPro Red Sea skimmer/bio wheel on the tank (never used one of these before). Once the tank has had a chance to "settle" after the move, I will check into other filter options. I use a Fluval cannister on a 36g tank and a wet/dry on my 150g show tank. Again, these are "freshy" tanks, so I will need to make sure I have the correct filtration for the salt tank.

Back
Top Bottom