help ID me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Florida-Guy1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please help with the ID of this fish sorry pics are not good he or she seems to never sit still:banghead: I do belive its part of the Aulonocara species,has yellow anal fins and a redish tint
img_1357049_0_9b23659a8d6112514f02e1cf444fcb2e.jpg

img_1357049_1_362209f2b71ecd38b24b38ca7d9431d4.jpg

It could be a hybrid, which means it's most likely half peacock and half mbuna. I just say that since I've never seen a full peacock that color but I guess anything is possible.....

Thanks all, although I was kinda hoping it was a eureka red or a peacock in general Im begining to think hybrid myself probably a good call Kat. After looking at numerous shots of peacocks I just dont see a match. Was hoping someone might have seen one of these

On a side note Kat1103 I noticed you were setting up a 20 for your betta if you were looking for some tankmates take a look at brevis I keep two with my betta in a 10 gallon and they do fine together

Looks like a ruby red to me, how large is it? If it's just a jeuvenile just starting to colour up it may not be a hybrid though I don't see egg spots which is common in peacocks.

There are no egg spots, it is a little over 2in. It does seem to have a lot of red color coming in though. Is it possible for a male to not show egg spots

Thanks all, I received this fish from a friend who purchased out of the dreaded mixed african tank, live and learn

When peacock cichlids are young they have the sleek aerodynamic look and as they age the males grow taller while the females don't. It's entirely possible it is a pure strain but it's hard to tell when they are young and partially colored. Peacocks tend to have egg spots but in very rare cases they do not so that's not really a reliable means. From the pictures it looks like a young ruby red as they are orange but if it's more red it could be a eureka. Update with pics as it matures and it will be easier to identify.

Back
Top Bottom