Help! Low pH in my planted tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, I have a 25 gallon planted tank and it's co2 injected at 1 bubble per second. My ph is all the way at 6.4. Is this harmful? If so what needs to be done. I know co2 will lower pH but i don't know how low it can go without harming anything?

and my other levels are:

Ammo 0
Trites 0
Trates slightly above 0

What is it going to harm? ph is basically the reading of whether your water is acidic, neutral or alkaline.
For the most part, most domestically bred fish can tolerate a very large range of Ph. What they MOST care about is a STEADY ph. Not one that swings wildly. When you get into "specialty" fish or imported wild caught fish is when you really need to start worrying about getting a more "homelike" ph (as well as hardness etc).
If your ph is consistent and you don't keep very delicate fish, I wouldn't worry about. I know of quite a few people who use Co2 injection in their planted tanks that buffer with crushed coral to keep from getting a ph bounce. Test your water at different times of the day just to see what kind of and if you have a ph swing and go from there.

FastFly67 said:
What is it going to harm? ph is basically the reading of whether your water is acidic, neutral or alkaline.
For the most part, most domestically bred fish can tolerate a very large range of Ph. What they MOST care about is a STEADY ph. Not one that swings wildly. When you get into "specialty" fish or imported wild caught fish is when you really need to start worrying about getting a more "homelike" ph (as well as hardness etc).
If your ph is consistent and you don't keep very delicate fish, I wouldn't worry about. I know of quite a few people who use Co2 injection in their planted tanks that buffer with crushed coral to keep from getting a ph bounce. Test your water at different times of the day just to see what kind of and if you have a ph swing and go from there.

Okay thanks! I just didn't know if acidity in the water from the co2 would harm any of my fish etc. It is staying consistent right at 6.4. Thanks for letting me know! :)

It's actually closer to optimal. Some plants do better at low pHs, not to mention many types of fish.

+1
I keep my planted tank at 6.4, the plants grow really well and all my fish are from south america so they also do well in that pH.

Back
Top Bottom