Help me figure out a fuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ckmn101

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have no sump and I want to make a fuge out of a 10gal tank. I want to put it beside the main tank and I can make it higher than the main tank. What I want to know is- is there a way I can hook up a small power head to feed it and then make it siphon back into the tank? I know this question might sound dumb but I don’t know how I would get the siphon started? Any ideas and help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

I suggest you use an overflow box or a drilled tank rather than a siphon. A siphon can cause major problems in a power outage.

As for how to get a siphon started, (you'll need to do this with an overflow box too) snake an airline tube up into the top of the siphon, and suck out all the air. (This is hard if the water level is very low.)

Alternatively, plug up one end of the siphon, submerse, and rotate around until all the air bubbles are out. Keep open end submersed or capped while repositioning, then unplug both ends.

Back
Top Bottom