Help Me: Refugium Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a Simple 2x 24w bulb T5 from Home Depot hanging above my fuge, It has no reflectors and currently has 2 lights in it that are not for plants so I am going to need to spend money on new bulbs for it but am wondering if I should just save it and buy a new fixture. So I want some opinions on what kind of light to use. I will be growing Chaeto and Mangroves so I want something that Wont be to bright for my mangroves. Heres a picture of the system, The left hand tub is just a fuge with moderate flow going through it. A maxi jet 1200 I think is pumping water into the fuge from the sump then it just gravity drains out back into the sump/Filter sock. Its a 3" sand bed with about a 8LB rock in it. The water is probably 6-7" deep.

img_2208259_0_f905f7433d793175f86c3661a35426ff.jpg

img_2208259_1_18226bf1f4e905e8ec1a68037acf0890.jpg

Here are some options I am seeing (I want to stay Under 100$ and even lower if possible, Because it doesnt need to look pretty lol)

Grow Light from Ebay

Any other thoughts

I used an 18 watt led from Home Depot. Like $30. I have mangrove, Chaeto & caulepra growing fine with no reflector or anything. Spending $100 on a fuge light IMHO is a complete waste. I grow coraline with mine and its on 24/7 cuz low cost of led and no heat.

Yup - agreed. My $10 solution does quite well :).

I don't cheap out too often on aquarium stuff but this is one place where cheap seems to be just fine.

Attachments

• image-3150385623.jpg
    image-3150385623.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 114
I used an 18 watt led from Home Depot. Like $30. I have mangrove, Chaeto & caulepra growing fine with no reflector or anything. Spending $100 on a fuge light IMHO is a complete waste. I grow coraline with mine and its on 24/7 cuz low cost of led and no heat.

well I wouldnt want to spend that much Im thinking more around 40$ but wanted to get some nicer ideas as well.

do you think my current light will work?

Would that one on ebay work?

Well regardless even if my fixture will work i have to get new bulbs. SO thats going to be around 30$ so whats my best solution?

I'm sure that one would be fine from eBay. But just as Fort said, a $10 one would be fine too.

Yea I use a $10 led screw in bulb from lowes. Works out cheaper than buying bulbs for any other fixture

Yeah that ebay one looks like it might do ok, though I would worry about any penetration through water as those look to be a fraction of a watt diode, so penetrating power on them will be minimal. I think you would have better luck with the screw in LED bulb or a CFL bulb, honestly - but tough to tell as they don't give exact specs on the LEDs. Knowing the lumens isn't all that helpful in this case, especially since several of those colored diodes aren't going to do much of anything for photosynthetic organisms.

how come iv been reading so much about Chaeto demanding alot of light to work properly?

Not sure - but I can tell you with my $10 option, I have never had detectable nitrates in my system, and my chaeto roughly doubles every 2-3 weeks.

Go with a 6500 or around that and it will grow fine they don't demand intense light more low spectrum. I agree with all post on this cheap is better.

I use a lizard lamp with a screw in 6700k bulb and grows Cheto, grape caulerpa, and feather caulerpa pretty good... $6-7 for the bulb and not sure what the lamps cost still

Mr. D said:
I use a lizard lamp with a screw in 6700k bulb and grows Cheto, grape caulerpa, and feather caulerpa pretty good... $6-7 for the bulb and not sure what the lamps cost still

Yep 2 cfl bulbs from lowes 24 w 6500k with reflecter chaeto grows like crazy not sure about mangroves tho

Back
Top Bottom