Help me scape my 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eshepler

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK...

So I decided to try my hand at aquascaping. The hitch is, I don't know a whole lot about aquatic plants, and I honestly don't have many local resources from which to get plants. Also, that wooden spatula is only there to hold the new driftwood down until it water logs.

Anyways, I was hoping with some suggestions from everyone here and a little research on my own I can turn this tank into one **** of a beauty.

Here's where I stand right now:

img_905755_0_720dd93acb0011bb3dd1378e9ce75db7.jpg

The microswords are in dire need of planting as soon as I get the time and inkling. And do forgive the floating crypts and wisteria in the picture.

I'm pretty sure I need to get some better lighting on the tank and hook up at least a DIY CO2 setup like the two I have on my 75g. Otherwise that dwarf hairgrass on the left is going to take forever to grow out and give me a ground cover.

The plants that are in there are all a hodgepodge of what I could find within a two hours drive of my house. If someone can suggest some good background and mid-ground plants, I'll make the plunge and try and get them online.

I need to get a background on the tank as well. Right now I'm leaning towards a simple black texture but some suggestions would be well appreciated.

As for residents in the tank, I have about 15 cherry shrimp, 8 endlers and a lone Angelicus Botia.

Here's a couple pics of my 75 to also give you an idea of what I have on hand that I can work with. I'm not sure what the family would appreciate me pulling anything out of the tank, but things are growing fast in there and I'm sure I'll have some clippings to plant in the near future.

img_905755_1_87a27df59d72eabe95f73f11a22c6ab0.jpg

img_905755_2_4245c2f3344f908b85c9a9574d89ed0f.jpg

The hairgrass has since been planted around the base of the log.

Needs some color, IMO. The greens look good, but add some red (L. Glandulosa, R. Macranda, L. Aromatica) and it'll really pop out.

I agree, black background.

Couldn't agree more. That amazon sword in the 55 has a red tint to it, but its not easily distinguhable.

Back
Top Bottom