Help Me with my bolivian rams please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GraemeTdeP13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi every one, so i purchased two female bolivian rams for my new 20 gal aquarium, i talked to the closest lfs (it is 30 min away), and they said it would be fine to do this as the first fish for my aquarium, when i put them in the tank they hung around at the bottom for a few hours then immediatly made territories, the smaller female made 95% of the tank her own space and the other female was forced into the corner:hide: and if she ever left the corner the other ram would nip its body and chase it to its corner. I realised this was going south very quickley so I made some adjustments. the corner that the bigger female was forced into was sheltered by two fake plants and a pot so i have slowly extended those objects outwards so the split the tank in the middle so now the tank is split half and half and they both defend their territories. My next question is, if i added some cardinal tetras would the rams attack them, because the whole tank is someones terrirory, and if you have any more ideas for tankmates i would love to hear them, and realy any info would help a ton:thanks::fish1::fish2:

You would be better off matching temperature preferences and going with neons IMO.
They like the Bolivians like mid 70's+ while the cardinals like GBR prefer 80++.
Just add a decent sized school of the neons so they can avoid the rams if they act up and still feel safe...
I can't speak for Bolivian temperament as I have only kept GBR...

thanks I have a very precise heater so i can deal with the cardinals and i heard cardinals are better because they are a bit bigger and it is harder for the rams at full size to fit them in thier mouths lol
what do you mean where are my rams, do you want a pic?

hi again i just had another quick question, i have been feeding my bolivian rams sinking pellets but most of the pellets fall through the gravel and go to waste so i have tried pushing flake food down for them but sometimes they only eat half of the flake then it gets blown away and they lose interest, what should i do...

Back
Top Bottom