Help ! moving a long distance with tropical fish !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cartosbartos

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys just me again asking another question about my fish !

So i have to relocate 600km up the coast from where i currently am living, I have a 90 L aqua one tank and 8 rosey barbs, 2 gourami, 1 angel, 1 bristlenose and 6 cories.

My current plan is to slowly drop the temperature down through the week from the current 26 its at to 24 or so just so that once the water is in the bucket and in the car it wont drastically drop.

I will 3/4 fill a 20L bucket and punch holes in the lid aswell as feeding an airline in from the top with an air rock attached so it sinks. I was also have my driftwood and one more ornament then adding the fish.
I will then drain the tank out only leaving enough water in there to cover the substrate.

I will filled a 20L bucket and put all my ornaments inside to keep the bacteria alive and to keep my cycled water. I will also have a smaller bucket aside with the filter media being kept wet and the bacteria alive.

Once i get to the location i will be setting it all up straight away but id love to hear some feedback and advice from the professionals

thanks guys !

Rather than using just a bucket, consider using an insulated cooler, it'll keep temps more stable, I wouldn't worry about adjusting the temp gradually or whatever, the fish can handle it easily as long as its not an extreme change.

I wouldn't worry too much about keeping the water (apart from what you need to keep decor and fish alive), you can set up with fresh dechlorinated water at the new place.

Just a thought coming from someone who really has no idea about this, but...

if I were transporting, I would also try to cushion so that bumps and swerves would not create drastic water swings that could pound a fish. They don't need to be slammed up against sides or each other as water moves around.

JMO
fanaticbooks

Rather than using just a bucket, consider using an insulated cooler, it'll keep temps more stable, I wouldn't worry about adjusting the temp gradually or whatever, the fish can handle it easily as long as its not an extreme change.

I wouldn't worry too much about keeping the water (apart from what you need to keep decor and fish alive), you can set up with fresh dechlorinated water at the new place.

thanks for the advice jeta i was just wondering how i would getting oxygen into the water if it was an insulated cooler can i still put some air holes in the top ?

You can drill a hole in the cooler lid, or just leave it cracked with an airline running into it. When I collect wild fish I don't even use a bubbler if the car is moving, it churns the water well by itself. If it's several hours then I will run an airstone and open the top (to add fresh O2/dispel any built up co2) while I'm taking a break/getting gas.

Back
Top Bottom