Help my kribensis are nipping each other

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

migdem

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I have a pair of kribensis that lately breed. The fry are still with parents and are 8 days free swimming. The problem is that the pair is nipping each other on the lips but there doesn't seem to be any injuries. They both have light pinkish bellies. The stay near each other often. About 2 days ago the female had a cloudy eye but after one day it was gone (i think it was injured) Water quality seems fine. Also the male has his tail a bit torn on the upper side. They like to run after each other but also love staying near each other with the fry.

Is this normal or fighting or breeding again?

That is normal behavior for kribs (and most cichlids). Make sure you have plenty of hiding places for them. The female will eventually tire of the males aggression and want to retreat to a safe place.

The females still have the spawning pheromone/ hormones for up to 2 weeks (or longer) after spawning, which the male can sense. This is turn makes him randy. It's not much different than mammals. We give birth, we have some sort of pheromone or hormone that males can sense and it drives them to want to mate again.

I researched this very thing back when our first pair of GBRs spawned and the wigglers showed up. We kept wondering why the male showed so much aggression.

That is normal behavior for kribs (and most cichlids). Make sure you have plenty of hiding places for them. The female will eventually tire of the males aggression and want to retreat to a safe place.

The females still have the spawning pheromone/ hormones for up to 2 weeks (or longer) after spawning, which the male can sense. This is turn makes him randy. It's not much different than mammals. We give birth, we have some sort of pheromone or hormone that males can sense and it drives them to want to mate again.

I researched this very thing back when our first pair of GBRs spawned and the wigglers showed up. We kept wondering why the male showed so much aggression.

Ok thank you very much for the explanation.

Back
Top Bottom