Help needed ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenRedeemer

Aquarium Advice Freak
So within the past week I have lost 3 of my fish. I just tested my water and had a ph of about 6 ammonia between 0 and .25 nitrite of 0-.25 and a slightly high nitrate which is normal for the tank. I have dosed melafix and primafix the last 2 days. last week I lost a denison barb and today I lost clown Pleco and pictus. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Probably going to need the help sticky filled out there I think for more details. The elevated nitrite reading suggests the tank is little unstable to me.

The regular high nitrates suggest too many fish in too small of a tank.

1. Tank size
2. Filtration
3. What test kit do you use?
4. What fish WERE in the tank?
5. What fish are in the tank NOW?
6. Water parameters as of right now.
-ammonia
-nitrite
-nitrate
-GH/KH sometimes has an effect on fish.
7. Did the fish have any unusual behavior? (Staying near the top, near heater, not eating etc..)
8. Did they show any physical signs of deficiency? (White spots, sores, tumors, bloating, etc..)

Without more info we can't help you. Answering those should give a much better understanding.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

The regular high nitrates suggest too many fish in too small of a tank.

1. Tank size
2. Filtration
3. What test kit do you use?
4. What fish WERE in the tank?
5. What fish are in the tank NOW?
6. Water parameters as of right now.
-ammonia
-nitrite
-nitrate
-GH/KH sometimes has an effect on fish.
7. Did the fish have any unusual behavior? (Staying near the top, near heater, not eating etc..)
8. Did they show any physical signs of deficiency? (White spots, sores, tumors, bloating, etc..)

Without more info we can't help you. Answering those should give a much better understanding.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

55 gallon tank
55 gallon canister and 55 gallon hob filter
API freshwater master
1 angelfish, 5 denison barb, pictus, clown Pleco, 2 striped Raphael catfish
All but clown Pleco, pictus and 1 denison barb
Not home can't get readings right now
Nothing unusual except for the clown. Was sitting still breathing rapidly. Only struggled a little when I caught him to put in my hospital tank before he died.
Take has been running for 4 years and no significant changes for over a year.

55 gallon tank
55 gallon canister and 55 gallon hob filter
API freshwater master
1 angelfish, 5 denison barb, pictus, clown Pleco, 2 striped Raphael catfish
All but clown Pleco, pictus and 1 denison barb
Not home can't get readings right now
Nothing unusual except for the clown. Was sitting still breathing rapidly. Only struggled a little when I caught him to put in my hospital tank before he died.
Take has been running for 4 years and no significant changes for over a year.

4 years is a long time. I'm not sure of their life expectancy. If they are not showing any physical signs. I'm not really sure maybe a bacterial infection.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

So within the past week I have lost 3 of my fish. I just tested my water and had a ph of about 6 ammonia between 0 and .25 nitrite of 0-.25 and a slightly high nitrate which is normal for the tank. I have dosed melafix and primafix the last 2 days. last week I lost a denison barb and today I lost clown Pleco and pictus. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I would think either water chemistry or bacterial infection to check out as above.

Water chemistry first as PH is a little low and ammonia / nitrite a bit higher than expected. Together this could be causing stress (especially if the ammonia was actually higher) or if you are adding anything to the tank (eg water changes with different tap chemistry, water changes at different tap, any ferts dosing, any other tank changes).

You could try checking with the water company about trace elements to see if anything has changed. Rusty pipes can give off nasty stuff.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

What is your water change schedule?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom