Help Needed w/Pregnant Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmk49a87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I have a Dalmatian Molly that had 4 fry last night. She is still obviously pregnant and still acting like she is in labor. (Hovering at the top of the tank, etc.)

I have had Mollies for years, but have never seen this. Does anyone know if it is normal for a molly to be in labor that long? I don't know what to do to help her.
Thanks

That is strange. Usually they would be very swollen before birth, and once the fry are delivered, she rapidly loses weight. But actually I've had a swordtail who took about 2 days to give birth to a large brood. So relax. She could still be in labor, but usually they go to the bottom of the tank to lay the babies. Your not alone I wouldn't be surprised if you see a fry or two hiding in the corner of the tank in a couple hours. Hope helped! ;)

I agree with Dylan that it can take a day or two for them to give birth. But my females always give birth at the top, guess just preference of the fish. Has she had anymore fry yet?

Oh I guess my swordtails are just different. Mine give birth at the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom