Help needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jschier

Aquarium Advice Activist
Mini cycle?

I moved an established tank, added 50% new water and tested, all parameters good. I added a fish after a couple days. A few weeks later added 2 more (3 fish total+CUC and corals). Now 2 days later I've got a spike in ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. I did remove 2 snails that didn't survive after being acclimated but the others were fine. I tested my other tanks in case it was the test kit and they are fine. My Ammonia alert says tank is safe (below 0.02) but my kit says NH3 is 1.3, NO3 is 20 and NO2 is 1.6. I did a 25 % WC and added a bit of Prime and tested an hour later....same numbers. I also added purigen and chemi-pure just after.

So if this is a mini cycle what are the steps to get through it? The fish and corals all look fine.

3 daily water changes and ammonia is gone, nitrates/nitrites still high but everything has seemed to survive ok.

Just keep at the water changes. Nitrites are just as bad as ammonia. :-(

You most likely didnt have enough BB to deal with the new critters so i would for sure wait a bit before adding anything else, let the BB catch up first. :)

Back
Top Bottom