Help please asap!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

110gTj

Aquarium Advice Regular
My white cheek tang all of a sudden got this over all over him! Is it to late to save him! He is about 4 months old!

Attachments

• _EPC00072010-03-04.jpg
    _EPC00072010-03-04.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 73
  • _EPC00082010-03-04.jpg
    _EPC00082010-03-04.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 69
  • _EPC00092010-03-04.jpg
    _EPC00092010-03-04.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 75
That's a severe case of ich, and that fish, a.nigricans is extremely delicate and should be left in the ocean. Did you qt it before adding it to your system?

A. nigricans &A.japonicus
"A. nigricans rarely lives for more than a few months in captivity, often, oh joy, bringing in parasitic Protozoan disease to take the rest of your fish livestock with them."

Last edited:
So, for all of our learning...

How can you tell if that is ick or marine velvet? I would have guessed velvet, ony becasue I've been thru it and not ick in the past.

I might add that if it is velvet, it would've first showed up his gill area and he will be dead soon. With Ick, I believe you got a chance.

Ich = white spots like grains of rice
marine velvet = small gold-colored spots

That's about the best I can do Ray.

As Larry said that is a severe case of ick. Velvet almost looks like a sheet.

Thank you for all the replies...I did QT him when I got him, and I got him from a buddy at my LFS who was breaking down his tank. I know they are tough to take care of and a powder brown would have been better of a choice, but like I said he was given to me. So now I have to just tr y to keep him happy and healthy, or make his life as painless as possible. :-( So whats the first thing to do to TRY to save him?

That's a really severe case. You need to qt it, but unless you have a cycled tank ready for it, the move into a "fresh" tank just may kill it. A freshwater dip with water the same temp and pH as the tank would make alot of the cysts fall off the fish and may it give some temporary relief.

A poweder brown isn't much better of a choice. They are just as delicate and prone to ich.

Thanks ccCapt. :) I really wasnt planning on have either of the two fish powder or white cheek, but I sometimes ya cant predict everything that is going to happen. He is in a QT tank as of about 8:30 last night, after my rother and I FINALLY caught him. HEs doing much better, but I dont know if I should maybe take him to a lfs that takes trades and trade him in?

I don't see the point of trading the tang in at this time if you have had it for 4 months; Just continue with a qt treatment. As far as the term "powder brown," both A. nigricans and A. japonicus are labeled as such; however, A. japonicus has a much better track record.

Back
Top Bottom