help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisamarssmith

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi every one

I went to a pet store and bought 2 white skirt tetras, one man told me to buy atleast 4 another told me I.can buy 1 or 2, so I just bought 2. When I got home i noticed they weren't Being to active in their new environment and they don't go near each other. They also stay on seperate sides of the tank and when one tries to swim over the other chases him off so I did some research and saw that Im supposed to have 4 or more tetras Because they're school fish. I also have have one Guppy and read they are school fish too? Well my problem is I have a 10 gallon tank and I already have 4 fish in there, can I get 1 or 2 more?? One more Guppy and one more tetra? Thank you so much for all your help and its partly my fault by not researching the fish before getting them, I learned not to put all my trust into employees but to research and study before walking into a pet store.

Oh wow ok :) then maybe my tetras are just grumps? They're pretty but I'm starting.to regret.buying them :(

White skirt tetras are best kept in groups of three or more, like most tetras they are a schooling fish and are happier in groups. Guppies on the other hand will not school but mine seem happier to have a few buddies around :)

Thank you butterfly koi

Yea they didnt look very happy and I couldn't fit any more in my tank, so sadly, I had to give them back :(

White skirts are just like black skirts they prefer groups of 4 or more especially because they can be fin nippy. I usually recommend 7 or more so the aggression is spread out.

Ohh ok I only have a 10 gallon tank, I'm hoping to get a larger one soon. The man at the store I went to said the tetras weren't aggressive, but I hear they can be. I will definately get 7 when I get my big tank.

I ended up keeping a single white skirt tetra for a bit, and he was ok by himself. I agree that your fish could benefit from having a larger school, but IME skirt tetras are not too high stress, so having just 2 will be ok while you wait to get your bigger tank. Once you do get a bigger tank, add some more like the others were saying. They look better swimming around in a group anyways. ;)
If one gets too aggressive with the other, you may have to rehome one until you can get a bigger tank. They can be nippy. Keep an eye on them and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom