Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_lover

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so my bettas tail is ripped , there isn't any thing that can shred his fins in his 3 gallon ( there is a silk plant ) and it looks like bite marks but does anyone know any Medications or anything that will distract/heal him from bitting his fins ( if that's what it is ) ? Or could it be fin rot ? But I don't see any black tips so I don't know , but her is a picture of him so you guys can see

image-18164139.jpg

He is in an old 1 gallon right now

It's most likely fin rot. I thought it was my betta's decorations that made his tail get cut up and it turned out it was fin rot without any discoloration of the tail. It took him 2 months to recover because I didn't do anything special about it. The best remedy is a few water changes.

What are the paramters of the tank?

It's most likely fin rot. I thought it was my betta's decorations that made his tail get cut up and it turned out it was fin rot without any discoloration of the tail. It took him 2 months to recover because I didn't do anything special about it. The best remedy is a few water changes.

What are the paramters of the tank?

Oh okay , I clean his water a lot

If it gets much worse I might look into medicating him with either bettafix or a broad spectrum antibiotic.

How often do you clean his water? Is there any sort of flow in his tank?

If it gets much worse I might look into medicating him with either bettafix or a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Okay , and he is in a 3 gallon with a filter and I clean it every week.

I took out his filter and now he isn't biting his fins anymore :) he didn't like the current

Some Bettas find any current very annoying and will tear off their own fins unfortunately. I've actually started keeping my Bettas in (heated) filterless tanks and have noticed a huge improvement in their fins and behavior.

Some Bettas find any current very annoying and will tear off their own fins unfortunately. I've actually started keeping my Bettas in (heated) filterless tanks and have noticed a huge improvement in their fins and behavior.

Ya , and sometimes they probably bite their fins because some of the tail types are really long and heavy , that could be another reason he did that maybe because he is a rosetail , but it was probably the filter most likely because after I took it out he stopped

I'm trying to find a happy medium for my betta. I have a 10g planted tank that he's in and I can't get enough flow for the tank without causing his fins to have a blowout. I am going to invest in a nano canister filter with a spray bar to see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom