HELP! Power went out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nu-Nu the eel

Aquarium Advice Addict
If your power went out and you could run either your heater or filter what would you choose??? Our truck has a power outlet in the back and it can probably only run either the filter or heater!! We need oxygen so im thinging about doing the filter. The heater isnt as necassary until night comes because california is pretty warm today...

If you have a power strip you may be able to run both...

If it's warm enough to at least keep it in the 70's I'd run the filter

Yes i agree. I dont know if we have the right strip at home. The power has been off for 5 hours while i was at school? Will they be ok????

Mods: sorry i dont know where to put this thread. Thank you

U could buy a big enough inverter to power both the heater and pumps and plug
It in the truck. If u have a ford you dont have to turn the truck on but I would watch the battery. Don't want a dead battery in the morning.

I would worry more about heating or cooling of the water than circulation. Though I'm not too worried about losing power for short amounts of time like that. It'll come back on and fix itself. If fish and coral can survive storms, they can take a couple hours without the heater/water movement. It is the longer amounts of time you'd worry about and need a generator to address that.

Sniperhank said:
I would worry more about heating or cooling of the water than circulation. Though I'm not too worried about losing power for short amounts of time like that. It'll come back on and fix itself. If fish and coral can survive storms, they can take a couple hours without the heater/water movement. It is the longer amounts of time you'd worry about and need a generator to address that.

Its the oxygen though

Thank you guys for your advice, i was prepared to use it when i got home, and when i went inside the power was on :) thanks!

If its cold heater. But you could also run and get an air stone if you are worried about oxygen. Of course it should only be short term.

If you have to choose it should be the filter. I had my power go out in the winter and lost a bunch of fish. after talking to the guys at blue zoo aquatics there guy in charge of there fish dept. told me it wasn't the cold but the lack of surface agitation that killed them he said if I would have stirred the water with a large spoon every hour or so they most likely would have survived.

I disnt read the thread but just stir the top of the water and all of it to get oxygen in the water. My power was out for over 12 hours and I stirred for 2 mins every half hour.

Can also take water from ur sump and and it to the tank so that it would overflow into the overflow box and back down into the sump. I call it a manual pump. Lol

Back
Top Bottom