Help! Pregnant Balloon Molly with stuck fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stormy_cat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am new to the site and will come back and add stuff to my signature and such as soon as I get past my fish emergency.

I brought home a very, very pregnant orange Balloon molly. She is so big, I just put her right in the breeder when I got home. She has been in about 4 hrs and I checked on her, and she appears to have a fry stuck in the birth canal. Or at least that is what I think it is. It looks red, and I definatley didnt see it when I put her in.

Is there anything I can do for her? This is my first ever pregnant fish problem and I am stumped. I just had a dalmation molly give birth 3 days ago (she had 64!), and I saw them come out, this looks like one started to come out and it is stuck.

Thanks so much and I look forward to joining in the discussions here.

Heather

Well. just after I got done posting this, she finally got it out and of course it was dead. She had 2 more right after that also were dead, and the next was stuck for a bit too and also died. She is such a tiny fish and the babies are huge, not sure if that is a factor or not.

Will keep an eye on her, but looks like not a positive outcome.

stormy_cat said:
Well. just after I got done posting this, she finally got it out and of course it was dead. She had 2 more right after that also were dead, and the next was stuck for a bit too and also died. She is such a tiny fish and the babies are huge, not sure if that is a factor or not.

Will keep an eye on her, but looks like not a positive outcome.

Sorry to hear this. I heard of this a lot with ballon mollys though :/ sorry I couldn't help!

Sorry to hear about your fry, unfortunately it happens allot with Balloon Mollies. The balloon Molly is actually a deformity of the Molly. someone somewhere thought that a Molly with a curved spine looked cute and bred it that way from that point. its possible for balloon fry to live but due to the deformity they have a shorter lifespan. I have a few of them and my little yellow female is my favorite fish :)
Good luck with your fish and welcome to AA!

Back
Top Bottom