Help Quick with Longspine Urchin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ogden10

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a fairly good size long spined black urchin. He has been in my tank for about 4 months. This morning I came down to find him sitting on a piece of liverock popping out sesame looking seeds from the top of his body. They are falling off onto the rock and CC. At this point there is probably 100+ of them and they seem to keep coming. His tentacles are still moving, does not seem in distress but he is just sitting on the same rock popping these seed things out. WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE THEY???

I am afraid they are eggs or something and do not want 100's of Urchins, or worse yet to pollute my tank and kill other fish.

What should I do?

TIA

i never owned one but there alot on here about that !! imo ya have nothing to worry about !! even if they are eggs ya wont have 100x of them !! do a search for urchins ya find what ya lookin fur !!

Steve I tried to do a search for someting relating to Urchin and eggs but found nothing. Any suggestions? IYO there is little risk of water pollution from eggs/sperm/whatever the heck he spewed?

Urchins excrete waste from the top of them in the shape of little tiny balls, you have nothing to worry about. Even if they were eggs they will not hatch and will most likely just be a food source for the rest of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom