Help seeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stingray68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a ten gallon with a plant that is new. I just set it up yesterday. I have put a section of my filter from my 20 gallon to seed it. The piece is just sitting in the tank and there are no fish in it. I think I am doing it right but if I am not please tell me if I need to do something.thanks

Without a source of ammonia, whatever beneficial bacteria is on the seeded media will die off.

Do readings on the tank and see what you get. Then, maybe you can add a small fish or two from your other tank (depending on what you have) to grow the bb.

I am sorry I don't have a test kit. I was going to buy one but the store was all out. Could I put in a few neon tetras in to keep a source of ammonia?

I've always stuffed the seeded media in the filter. Keeps the water cleaner that way.
Also the bb will not stay without a food source like was mentioned. Put a small fish in or add ammonia

I would go with a few neons. But don't assume you're cycle with that little bit of media. Keep up with water changes.

You can get the API master kit on-line for about $17.

Back
Top Bottom