Help Setting up a 47 column

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubbacena

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi so ive just bought a 47 marineland column tank.....and just had some questions

i was thinking about getting some plants to put in here but dont know what light would be best to penetrate the water.....a 20 in lighting fixture was included with a fluorescent bulb

also what would be a good filter to put in here seeing as its so tall

any other tips and hints would be greatly appreciated for setting up this column tank

thanks in advance! :D

Welcome to AA!

Look up fishless cycling here on AA. It'll save you a lot of hassle down the line.

The stock fixture won't hack it. If you're serious about the plants, invest in a T5HO fixture. You'll need some potent light to penetrate to the bottom in a tall tank.

I'd recommend either using an Aquaclear 70, Aquaclear 110, or a canister of some type. As a general rule, take a filter's rated capacity and cut it in two. Manufacturers generally overrate their filters.

Not much swimming space in a column style tank. In addition, the limited surface area will mean you can stock fewer fish than you could in a tank of equal volume but with less height.

You will need to choose fish carefully and adjust your stocking because of the design. Some fish will be better able to cope with the shape of the tank than others. Probably there are people here who can suggest the best types.

Personally, I would take it back and get something equally priced but with more length. It is pretty, though.

Congratulations on your new tank.

pPETS-6704008dt.jpg

47g Column tank

I have the same tank as well and just got a new upgraded light, I bought an odyssea 24" Metal Halide 250w + 4 x 24w T5 HO actinics, and a 12'' 6w LED Stunner strip. I currently have the tank stocked with around 35lbs of live rock, 1 Striped Damsel, 2 Domino Damsels, 2 Yellow tail damsels, A coral banded shrimp,and a Sea Anemone also a couple hitchhikers, 2 small starfish, 1 sea urchin, a couple unidentified worms and misc corals.

tjiphone003.jpg

By saratj1 at 2012-02-14

tjiphone033.jpg

By saratj1 at 2012-02-14

tjiphone024.jpg

By saratj1 at 2012-02-14

Back
Top Bottom