Help sexing my new GBR's -- pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cobaltskyy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there! I just got three German Blues <3 from my lfs and thought I had 2 females and 1 male...they are pretty young and I can't quite tell. I think there are 2 males and one female. What do u think??

The last pic is the one I thought was a female but now Im thinking its a BOY!

Also, I should take back one of the males correct?

The fish are pretty faded, so it's really hard to tell from those pictures. The best way I've found to identify a female GBR is the pink belly spot. My males have a slight pinkish sheen, but the females definitely have the pink spot. The dorsal spikes will be longer on the males, but only on adults in good condition.

Thanks..I also heard the black spot will have little blue dots through it in females and the males will be full black with blue spots around it.....

I just did a pwc and rearranged all my caves and hidey holes so once everything settles I will post some more pics! Any advice or tips on sexing these beauties will be great....I

The female fish is smaller than the male and have more pink pigmentation on her ventral region. If you look at the anterior region of the dorsal fin, you can see that her fin rays are less developed. It is also common for females to have a plumper body shape and more rounded edging of the tailfin. The back of the dorsal and anal fins have a more pointy edge in the male ram, and the tail fin is also more sharply edged. The male ram can be recognized on his V-shaped tail fin and the elongated second ray that is present in the dorsal fin. The first pic is a male and the second is a female.

Attachments

• image-1393740914.jpg
    image-1393740914.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 102
  • image-4239934833.jpg
    image-4239934833.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 91
roydooms said:
The female fish is smaller than the male and have more pink pigmentation on her ventral region. If you look at the anterior region of the dorsal fin, you can see that her fin rays are less developed. It is also common for females to have a plumper body shape and more rounded edging of the tailfin. The back of the dorsal and anal fins have a more pointy edge in the male ram, and the tail fin is also more sharply edged. The male ram can be recognized on his V-shaped tail fin and the elongated second ray that is present in the dorsal fin. The first pic is a male and the second is a female.

These were the pics I was talking about! The one I think is a male does have black stripes on its lower fins thought but has more shape of a male and more coloring like a male....then in certain light it looks like a female! LOL I guess I will have to wait for them to mature still...they are still quite young and small :) THEN I will know for sure with the dorsal fin...thanks for the advice :) what about the grouping....if it turns out to be 2 males and 1 female should I move one male out or will they be ok...ps this is in my 30 gal :) I know 2pr need at least a 40 gal.

I have a pair of GBR in a 20g. I think if you have 2 males and a female that the males will get aggressive towards each other and fight over the female. I'm actually thinking of getting another female but I still need to do some research about that. IMO, I think it's better to have 2 females and a male than 2 males and a female. I hope you have to females and a male.

The 2nd pic n your other thread looks like a male and a female but its a little blurry.

I just looked at your pics in this thread and the first and second pics looks like you have 2 females and a male :)

Last edited:
I've seen those pictures before too and I don't think all those identifiers are trustworthy. The black on the pelvic fins definitely is wrong. My males have black there as well as the females. The irridescence showing through the black has some merit. My males have irridescence showing through the outer third of their black spots. The females have it all the way through.

BigJim said:
I've seen those pictures before too and I don't think all those identifiers are trustworthy. The black on the pelvic fins definitely is wrong. My males have black there as well as the females. The irridescence showing through the black has some merit. My males have irridescence showing through the outer third of their black spots. The females have it all the way through.

The two I have that I think r females have the blue iridescence across their whole side. The one is a little plumper than the other she's a bit paler too and has more prominent vertical stripes, no black on the pelvic fins....the other is smaller ....the male is pretty small too but he makes up for it in personality! Lol

Back
Top Bottom