Help! Stocking my 10 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tbutzlaff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Recently purchased a 10 gal tank. I have my male beta in a 1 gallon tank rite now. My question is what can i put in the 10 gal. I want to put neon tetras, how many? Is it possible to put tetras and my beta in the 10 gal together? Or should i just put tetras in the 10 gal and keep the beta in the 1 gal?

Tbutzlaff said:
Recently purchased a 10 gal tank. I have my male beta in a 1 gallon tank rite now. My question is what can i put in the 10 gal. I want to put neon tetras, how many? Is it possible to put tetras and my beta in the 10 gal together? Or should i just put tetras in the 10 gal and keep the beta in the 1 gal?

You could move the Betta to the 10 if you really want. You could do 6 Neon Tetras and some Bettas even get along with Guppies. You could try one and see how it works out and depending on your results you might be able to add 3 more. It will help if your tank has a lot of plants in it. You could also do a snail or shrimp.

vanimal said:
You could move the Betta to the 10 if you really want. You could do 6 Neon Tetras and some Bettas even get along with Guppies. You could try one and see how it works out and depending on your results you might be able to add 3 more. It will help if your tank has a lot of plants in it. You could also do a snail or shrimp.

I wouldn't put tetras in a 10 they need more room to swim around

vanimal said:

Say i were to keep my betta in the 1 gal and get 6 tetras what else can i put in it

I honestly think Neons would have enough room in a 10 I have some in mine now and they're fine.

I'm also of the mind that tetras do better in something larger like a 15 or 20. I mean yes, they can do ok in a 10 gallon but there are other more suitable fish for a 10 gallon. Neons while small are very active fish and more space is best for them.

I would certainly not put the betta with the neons in a 10. With neons being so active there is a pretty good chance they are going to stress out the betta in a tank that size.

There is no solid yes or no answer on things that will be fine with a betta. It really comes down to it's personality. Some are good with tank mates and some won't even allow shrimp or snails. Most often they do best alone.

Things that will do well in a 10 gallon would be guppies, endlers, nano fish like chilli rasbora and celestial pearl danios.

If you get the tank fully cycled and are maintaining great water quality you could do the betta with a shoal of otos. Otos are sensitive fish so you need to be sure there is great water quality but they would most likely do well with the betta.

Back
Top Bottom