Help w/ Fish ID (pic inside)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I was on a vacation and I came home to see that my younger sister had put some new fish in my tank. I didn't mind so much, I suppose, until she told me she caught them at our lake.

Since they've been in my tank a few days now and they seem to be eating and getting a long just fine, I thought I'd let them be.

I was just curious, can anyone ID these fish??

My dad projected they were Northern Pike minnows. But I'm not sure...

Here's the pic, I pasted 2 together, so that explains the size comparison.
They are about 2.5 in.

Attachments

• picture_478_copy_418.jpg
    picture_478_copy_418.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 46
no idea what they are

what state are they from, i have 2 lakes in michigan, and ive never seen them before

i know your from MN, but i dunno if your lake is outta state like mine

Well, if they're pike minnows, this is what you're in for:
Ptore_u0.jpg

But yours don't have a forked tail fin, so I don't think that's it. My best guess is a topminnow or killifish, but I don't know which species. I thought there was a feature on fishbase where you could look up a fish by description?

They kinda look like Umbra limi, at least the shape as far as I can tell.
Umbra-limi-1.jpg

also note, if you dont let these fish go now, you'll have to keep them all winter and most a spring too, you just cant let them go in in the middle of january, or even march when theres still snow on the ground

My lake is in MN, and don't worry I'm prepared to keep these. Getting a new tank winter-time.

Good guesses, I think it might be a Banded Killifish, Jdogg.
Though it does resemble the Umbra Limi...

Really appreciate it though. Interesting. Thanks

I'd say the American killie too. That's a pretty close match. The markings and dorsal are much closer than my guess.

Back
Top Bottom