help with choosing corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

horton

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first post so be gentle
I set up a nano-reef which had been running for roughly 3 months now, i added two ocellaris clowns the other day and i dont want to place an anemone into the tank for obvious reasons. Which corals would be placed in the tank that my clowns could potentially host with?, just so they have a place to play around in. I would rather a coral which has the symbiotic relationship with zooxanthelae as this will reduce the over all bioload on the tank.
I am quite happy with just the two fish but if there i could get extra fish i would really love to know.
12G tank
current stock
9 kg live rock
1 x skunk shrimp
3 x hermits
2 x turbos
2 x ocellaris clown

Yellownose goby are small stick to the bottom and aren't aggressive. I think I have heard of clowns hosting torch coral or frogspawn but I'm a newbie and could be wrong.

image-1968498877.jpg

Clowns will host anything and its always hit or miss especially with captive bred clowns. They've been known to host heaters, powerheads, and a large assortment or corals. As for adding more fish to the tank personally I wouldn't have more then a pair of fish in a 12 g reef because you will want prestine water parameters. Stocking fish and corals is a bit of a balancing act. If you did add another fish though I would stick with a small goby or maybe dartfish

Nice screen name! (My last name.) What kind of lighting do you have?
As Mrc8858 said, clowns can host just about anything. My captive bred occellaris haven't settled on anything yet, even though they have a LT anemone inthe tank. I have seen them host zoas, torches, frogspawn, elegance coral and I had one that hosted in a clam. (The clam hated it.) I've seen pictured of them in mushrooms as well.

i am using an aquaray mini led which has 4 x 10K white light and 1 x 20K blue lighting.
I know that clowns will host with anything but i just want something that could be a potential, plus i love loft corals so i would probably just stick with those.

I have to agree they will host anywhere! A few of my friends have had the clowns host anything from power heads to a whole in a rock to even Guarding a corner of the tank with all there life. I'm lucky though my clowns host my bta last night and won't stray from it.

Back
Top Bottom