help with cleaning filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I hate to clean my filters I always make a mess. I have a enhiem 2217 and a magnum 350 and I always have a flood when pulling they for cleaning. I clean one each month alternating. I have a 100 gallon tank and use a python for cleaning and I try to clean and do a pwc once a week.
Any helpfull hints would be great. Thanks
Tess

I clean my filter over a trash can (designated for aquarium stuff) so that I can just dump it when I'm done putting new filter media back in. The trash cans on wheels so I can pull it right up against the fish tank when I pull the filter out and wheel it outside when ready to dump it.

My problem is getting it out of the tank and up to the trash can without getting water all over my carpet The trash can idea sounds good but how do I get it to that point my tubing on it does not come off very easy.

Put the filter inside a bucket before disconnecting the hoses. The leaks will go straight into the bucket.

My canister filter always sits inside a plastic box (the kind you get for files/documents) so it's a nice deep box. Remember to close the valves on your hoses (or they probably won't disconnect) and then separate them from the filter. Lay the hoses on a towel to catch the one or two little drops that come from the end of the valves. Then take your plastic box/bucket with filter inside to the sink to open it up and rinse/change media.

I hope this helps your canister maintenance. I don't have a magnum filter.

I don't think I have any valves on my hoses that is probably why I have such a mess but the big boxes or buckets might work. I usually one take the lid off of the filter to get it out from under my tank or I have to pull the hoses out of my tank and I end up making a big big mess. Thanks for all the help.

Tess

Back
Top Bottom