Help with feeding my Oscar’s!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coryuo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a question about feeding my Oscar’s. Currently they are each about 4 inches and I have 2. I use hikari gold mini sinking pellets they are the 3.0 - 3.4 mm variety. I’m concerned that I might be feeding them too much I feed each of them twice a day and I feed them each 10 pellets per feeding. Does anyone have any thoughts in this amount of food? Is it too much or should I keep feeding them this amount? I have them in a 55 gallon while I’m cycling my 180 gallon tank. Thanks and I appreciate any advice!

Feeding amounts and schedules is a highly debatable subject, so There’s going to be no clear cut answer here

Typically people go by a rule of how much they can eat in a couple minutes once or twice a day. Which is less than scientific but it works and helps control waste.

In the real world fish eat what they want, when they want. In the aquarium world, we have to control feeding to control water quality over anything else. If the fish is eating the food you provide it, and none is being left to rot at the bottom, and you’re not having water quality issues, you are feeding correctly.

If you’re overfeeding, and there’s pellets collecting on the bottom after every feeding or the fish are just producing too much waste to maintain water quality you need to cut back feeding. Otherwise if they’re eating it all and look healthy, carry on I say!

Oscars are a big fish and they’ll pack in the food if you give it to them! Lol

Back
Top Bottom