Help with my high PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

devinwfy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, guys,
I am new here. I just get my tank cycled and ammonia level is 0 now.
I had my water tested in the local petsmart store, and they tested my water sample and said my ph is about 8.4 which is too high. Then they suggested me to buy aqueon ph minus and said it is safe to use.
However, I look up online information, and most people agree that stable ph is more important than the ph value itself, and fishes will get used to the ph.

I tested my tap, ph of which is also too high.
What can I do? add aqueon ph minus or just keep the high ph. The local petsmart store employee said I can buy the distilled water and mix it with my tap water.
What are your opinions?

Thanks for your help

How long did you cycle your tank?
Did you buy an api master test kit?
I wouldnt trust petsmarts paper test strips.

There are natural ways to lower ph but yes a stable ph is waaaay better then a fluctuating ph.

Btw welcome to AA! :welcome:

Thanks so much for your answer!!
I cycle my tank about two weeks. I bought the api test kit, and the range is only up to 7.6. I tested my aquarium water and tap water, and both showed 7.6.
I was suspicious about their ph minus product, which I thought might have some bad side-effects. The petsmart employee suggested me to but the product and seems very confident that the product is very safe to use.
But I would like to go natural. Could you show me some natural ways to lower ph?
Thanks a lot!

David

Thanks so much for your answer!!
I cycle my tank about two weeks. I bought the api test kit, and the range is only up to 7.6. I tested my aquarium water and tap water, and both showed 7.6.
I was suspicious about their ph minus product, which I thought might have some bad side-effects. The petsmart employee suggested me to but the product and seems very confident that the product is very safe to use.
But I would like to go natural. Could you show me some natural ways to lower ph?
Thanks a lot!

David

If you got the api master test kit, it has a high range ph test. Can you do that test? Natural ways I know about are peat moss

I don't have that master test kit so far.
Can I trust Petsmart? or they just want to sell their products?

I don't have that master test kit so far.
Can I trust Petsmart? or they just want to sell their products?

I work at petsmart. Some just wanna sell but others truly wanna help. Dont use ph adjusters that arent natural. A high ph is fine and yes your fish can be properly acclimated to the high ph. I wouldn't jump to conclusions until you buy the test kit and check for yourself

Back
Top Bottom