Help with overstocked tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishLover97

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I am new here because I just obtained a fish aquarium. My old roommate had it and had to move so she gave the fish tank to me. However as a beginner I started doing some research and realized that the tank, I believe, is overstocked. It’s a 3.5 gallon tank, and in the tank there are two platies, three tetras, and two danios. I’m not really in a financial situation where I can go out and spend money on a new tank so I’m looking to see if there is some way of dealing with this. From what I’ve seen, the fish seem to get along okay. There doesn’t seem to be one that’s getting picked on or anything. I’ve tested water parameters and ammonia and nitrite are zero, which I know would be a concern with an overstocked tank. I’m thinking I’ll have to do regular water changes? The fish have been living with a gravel cleaning and about 50% water change every two weeks. Do you think it should be more often? I’m just looking for advice for what would be best for these fish.

Yes small frequent water changes is good do small water changes frequently. Like two to 3 times weekly or just take the fish back to the store and trade them in for a Betta

I have never seen a tank which was/is not overstocked in person.
Except my own then...
Not a reason to do the same, but ye it happens.

But with so les water you should do atleast 50% a week if not more.
(twice a week 25% is better than 50% in one go)

If you don't want to give them a bigger tank why not give them away?
A tank is also not expensive, the gravel, heaters, pumps and everything else adds up.
If you buy a second-hand tank, you could already have a 30 gallon for 50 bucks.
(everything included)

Back
Top Bottom